• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 shaz246

shaz246

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I work in a major regional theatre and at the moment alcohol is not allowed in the auditorium but soft drinks in plastic bottles are.

The hospitality department that I work for is very keen to allow alcohol in but there are others working in the venue that are not so keen on this.

What are people's thoughts on this? Pro's vs. Con's, etc?

Thanks

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Pros: I can drink in the auditorium

Cons: so can other people

;)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm OK with non-smelly drinks. Some wines have a very distracting stench, as do some winos, so I'd rather they weren't allowed in. Soft drinks and beers aren't a problem.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I usually don't have time to finish my wine during the interval, and with how expensive it is I don't exactly want to down it, so I'm glad that West End theatres allow you to take wine to your seats.

#5 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

View Postxanderl, on 23 May 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Pros: I can drink in the auditorium

Cons: so can other people

;)

This post needs praising further, and by highlighting it I have done so.Don't mind admitting it was drink (not alcoholic) all over the keyboard.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

I swig water from bottles but I admit my heart sinks when people near me come in after the interval nursing a large plastic glass of wine or someat with ice.

#7 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

With ice is the worst thing.. if you manage to escape hearing the cubes rattle back and forth as they drink, you usually find them munching on the ice cubes afterwards.

#8 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I've been at performances where people have obviously taken it too far beforehand and are drunk and chatty during the show. Sometimes perhaps it's the people who shouldn't be allowed in rather than their drinks!

I also echo the smelly drinks post above. A few weeks ago I sat behind someone who had a pint of bitter and every time he moved the cup it was in, I got a whiff of it and it was very strong. I spent the whole second half trying to cover my nose!

#9 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I do not like the smell of alcohol in an auditorium. I have been sat near (not next or behind) people with the most dreadful smelling red wine and like richard2711 Ive almost gagged at it. Water or non smelly soft drinks are fine. Ive also had alcohol spilt over me due to tipsy audience members struggling to their seats whilst balancing programs, handbags and drink!
It's a big no for me Im sorry

#10 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

This isn't just about the audience, but based on a audience AND venue management point of view. Some contradict as you have no way of knowing without trying.

Good points:
  • Retail Revenue at the bar. Some small venues rely on this actually - especially if its a split on the door or a guarantee gone bad. Being able to serve longer / more drinks as people MAY buy in the interval AND another to go back in with. If its a comedian say Jim Davison, then they might even buy a couple of bottles to take back in. This can lead to higher income (Though i know a few people who would just throw the bottles AT him!)
  • None wastage of drinks by the audience not having to drink fast
  • Satisfied customers
  • Reduced demand at the bar at any one time, as people won't be rushing to drink in 15 / 20 minutes
Bad Points:
  • Potential of damage to hardware if wine and beer are spilt / knocked over - seats, carpets etc. Coke is just as bad to be fair, but the wine colour really can stain badly and cant wash out as easily
  • The pure smell upsetting other the other audience members
  • Someone upsetting someone thats drunk and having it thrown over them (I've seen this done)
  • Accidental spillage onto other patrons as walking past, cup getting knocked over
  • Noise - Ice, clinking, muttering as can't find it etc
  • Being knocked into the pit from the front row. This is especially bad with a curtained pit rail and not a solid board. Has the potential to really cause major damage to instruments. Also people tend to sit it on top of the rail. Really could be dangerous and risk assessments should cover this
  • Potential of customers bring in their own drinks and "refilling" their cups - Can actually reduce the bar intake if this were to happen
  • More chance of drunk customers as they can potentially just keep drinking
The list goes on. Ive worked in venues that do both. Neither are right. What pleases some - upsets others. Where income can go up - can also go down. The biggest question really is - majority verdict of the audience / type of show, and can you cover costs to the damage of the furniture / hardware. ?

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users