22 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

I assume that those people who say drinks in the auditoriium are a 'big no' don't actually boycott venues (which is practically everywhere) that don't allow them? Until the lost revenues from boycotts and cleaning bills outweighs the extra revenue from bar sales, drinks in the auditorium are here to stay. Thank goodness. if I've had to queue for 10 minutes for the loo, I'm going to be fairly annoyed if I don't have time to drink my preordered £4.50 glass of wine :angry: .

#12 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

A few plays I've seen recently required me to bring a drink back to my seat in order to get through the second act.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#13 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

mallardo, on 14 June 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

A few plays I've seen recently required me to bring a drink back to my seat in order to get through the second act.

There'd probably be riots at Gatz if people weren't allowed to take their drinks in with them :lol:

#14 Theatrethoughts

Theatrethoughts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (duh!), reading, tai chi

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

This is certainly becoming more common. I was worried at first but on the whole I've not noticed it being a problem.

The thing that does annoy me is ice cubes in the drinks rattling around throughout the production. Are they really necessary?
My independent theatre blog http://www.theatrethoughts.com for reviews, news, interviews and musings.

#15 doublegloucester

doublegloucester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have mixed feelings about alcohol in theatres during performances. I agree that certain shows need bums on seats and that it can take an age to get your drink if going to the loo. However, I do object to having alcohol breath fumes all over me in the same way as I object to those who've ahd a cigarette int he interval.
Was at Torch Song Trilogy last weekend and one guy laughing at one joke sprayed red wine all over the couple in front of him, which got a bigger laugh from those around than the joke int he script.

#16 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Theatrethoughts, on 07 July 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

The thing that does annoy me is ice cubes in the drinks rattling around throughout the production. Are they really necessary?

Sadly yes - it means the theatres can get away with putting less in the cup :)

#17 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

mallardo, on 14 June 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

I agree!!!

On the whole most people who go to the theatre are sensible drinkers.

#18 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Noisy ice cubes can stay outside with the hatcheck girl but give me wine or gin – it helps me give the production such glowing reviews …

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#19 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Thank you, I will check it out next time I am looking for a rare Sid James theatre programme
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#20 sambda

sambda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Seasoned veterans have "ways" of getting alcohol into practically any "non alcohol" event.  I've done it myself countless times.  Pop concerts and football matches are a must - you certainly don't want to be sober in those!

A third-bottle of vodka down the front of the trousers is  good one.  Nobody ever frisks you there, and you just look rather, er, well hung.

A bottle of soft drink (e.g. coke) with half the drink poured away and refilled with vodka - most places let soft drinks in.  Even if it's a water-only policy - half lemonade, half vodka. Looks just like water.

Even when alcohol is allowed, some people do these things to avoid the huge expense of purchasing the equivalent amount of drink at venue prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users