58 replies to this topic

#21 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

It's semi staged with scripts. Strong cast - Eileen Atkins is superb. The (radio) play is always interesting and beautiful in parts. Runs about 1hr 20 straight through. Very much worth a look - think Atkins and Gambon might be in the running for some Fringe awards!

#22 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Can I just check as to whether or not the seats are allocated?

#23 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Allocated - but uncomfortable!

#24 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Good thing it's short then :lol:

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the seat warning. Will take cushion!

#26 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

The problem with the Jermyn Street seats isn't their hardness but that with some of them, there isn't a floor in front so your legs either dangle, or you twist them uncomfortably under the seat in a futlile attempt to get your feet to touch the ground. The management also will reseat people who complain enough which means that even if you specify you don't want those seats (Row B front-facing, I *think*) you can find yourself there anyway unless you want to have a public row with someone who makes the Dowager Duchess of Grantham look self-effacing. Why yes, this has happened to me :angry:

#27 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

O dear, sitting in Row B tomorrow! But then I can do a Maggie Smith with the best of them.

#28 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostLynette, on 12 October 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

O dear, sitting in Row B tomorrow! But then I can do a Maggie Smith with the best of them.

We never doubted it for a minute! :)

#29 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Goodness, this has had good reviews!  I can't believe I didn't bother to book ahead, and then why I didn't bother to go on the mailing list.  There's no way to get tickets at all now, is there?  I noticed a pair of tickets for £100 on Ebay, which I don't mean - if you go on the day is there a possibility of returns or the like?  I assume it's a long shot, but I'll be in London a few days anyway and I'll only need one...

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Worth queuing. Arrived at ten to seven to collect tix and there was a queue, about 20 people. I saw at least the first couple get in. So maybe queue from 5pm.
It is a little cracker. Eileen Atkins a treat, Michael Gambon excellent. The direction v good using a narrow stage fully. I think it cheated the rules in that yes, they held scripts and it had sound effects but Eileen Atkins was not really reading her part, nor were the others much. And acted, she certainly did. It would be nice to have on an audio or to see it on the telly.

Beckett amazing. Not a word wasted or out of place.

Seats a total pain in buttocks and knees. You can't put your feet down and hoicking  them up risks kneeing the person next you which is ok if you are very good friends, otherwise not. This was row B facing. So if this is the usual format for this venue then remember to ask for front row or side on. The place was packed to the gills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users