28 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I've always said we Wossers should have discreet badges to identify ourselves. Did you spot Marcello Magni and Kathryn Hunter?  And I thought I spotted Charles Spencer of the telegraph but might have been a lookalike as it wasn't press night.

I walked out of the last JP show - Dimetos at the Donmar. Prob not his fault, the play rather.
Anyway, nice to not connect, Poly.

#22 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 September 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

I've always said we Wossers should have discreet badges to identify ourselves. Did you spot Marcello Magni and Kathryn Hunter?  And I thought I spotted Charles Spencer of the telegraph but might have been a lookalike as it wasn't press night.

I walked out of the last JP show - Dimetos at the Donmar. Prob not his fault, the play rather.
Anyway, nice to not connect, Poly.

You know the Almeida seats, three people in one folding seat? Well my three seater was myself, Ben Daniels and Kathryn Hunter (my friend was seating on my other side). I was a bit self conscious about Ben Daniels as his partner is in the production (Ian Gelder playing Kent).

I didn't like Dimetos either (although it was directed by Douglas Hodge, one of my favourite people in the world). Stayed till the end too :) I remember JP being very good, just have no clue what the play was meant to say. We will connect next time :)

#23 Champagne Fluffyduck

Champagne Fluffyduck

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Saw it 15 October....JP was spectacular but I found both the passionate kisses bestowed upon his daughters and the gestures he used to describe a woman disgusting, but that's the way JP wanted to play it and no one was going to argue with him.  The daughters certainly had a reason for wanting to destroy the King.   Good, solid performances by the rest of the cast and I especially  Albany's transition from milquetoast to tiger.  A wonderful evening out.

Advice for those attending a play at the Almeida next time:  Go for the F row seats with slightly restricted view as there is nothing in front of you but a slender iron pillar.
www.richard-hope.com

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostPoly, on 09 September 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

You know the Almeida seats, three people in one folding seat? Well my three seater was myself, Ben Daniels and Kathryn Hunter (my friend was seating on my other side). I was a bit self conscious about Ben Daniels as his partner is in the production (Ian Gelder playing Kent).

I didn't like Dimetos either (although it was directed by Douglas Hodge, one of my favourite people in the world). Stayed till the end too :) I remember JP being very good, just have no clue what the play was meant to say. We will connect next time :)
Hi just seen this. Yes I saw where you were. We were gawping at the actors! On reflection, I like this production less and less....
see ya

#25 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Poly - how funny!  That wouldn't be the most relaxing triple seat.

I liked the first 3 acts of this 'King Lear' but then was strangely unmoved by the last two.  But would still recommend it - intelligent, interesting and clear.

#26 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Well I was rather disappointed by the whole thing, having seen a few King Lears something was missing certainly the cast did their best but maybe it just shows that when played as a family drama, something of the play gets lost

#27 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostChampagne Fluffyduck, on 02 November 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

JP was spectacular but I found both the passionate kisses bestowed upon his daughters and the gestures he used to describe a woman disgusting, but that's the way JP wanted to play it and no one was going to argue with him.

Not even the director ? Or are you just speculating. Playing it with an undertone of incest is not that unusual though here it was made a bit more explicit than ususal.

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Not too keen on this. Pryce v shouty, Edmund poor, but Clive Woods as Gloucester v good. Nice eye scene, lots of blood. Loved that. Also impressed by Zoe Waites. But I was left unmoved- not a good sign for a Lear.

#29 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Saw this a few weeks ago and loved the physicality of Pryce's Lear. It rattles along and is very loud, too loud for one old dear who walked out during act one letting evryone know why she was doing so. Loved Clive Wood's Gloucester and Trevor Fox's world weary Fool. As ChampagneFluftyDuck reiterates, those row F restricted view stalls seats are a total steal. Put a few thoughts on my blog http://www.frontrowd...aturday-13.html
www.frontrowdress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users