71 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Rupert Goold no longer associated with this production - what's going on ?

http://www.guardian....c-collaboration

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Film commitments as the article says - this was announced a couple of months ago
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

View Postxanderl, on 30 May 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Film commitments as the article says - this was announced a couple of months ago

Oh ? Surely then that should have given the RSC enough time to replace him with a director rather than a writer ?

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Well, Elizabeth LeCompte is a director!

#5 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 May 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Well, Elizabeth LeCompte is a director!

And Mark Ravenhill is a writer ! The intriguing basis of this production was that the Greeks and the Trojans would be rehearsed separately, one group by LeCompte with her experimental theatre background and the other group by Goold in the text-basd RSC tradition - these two groups would then be brought together shortly before the production opened. It therefore undercuts the entire project to have the RSC group rehearsed by someone from entirely outside the RSC directing tradition (and with no directing experience at all actually), just as it would to have both groups rehearsed by LeCompte.

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Mark Ravenhill did work as a freelance director in the early 1990s, before his success as a writer.

The Wooster Group and RSC companies meet at the end of June for over a month's joint rehearsals.

Did you have an ideal RSC director in mind?

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 May 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Mark Ravenhill did work as a freelance director in the early 1990s, before his success as a writer.

The Wooster Group and RSC companies meet at the end of June for over a month's joint rehearsals.

Did you have an ideal RSC director in mind?

John Barton would be the most amusing choice. As it is only a couple of month's work almost any of the RSC's "mainstream" directors could have done it, Greg Doran for example. As it is they have gone for "iconoclastic" on both sides of the divide and destroyed the concept

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm also amused to hear of ex-AD Trevor Nunn's forthcoming All That Fall with actors speaking into microphones - very Wooster Group...

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 May 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

I'm also amused to hear of ex-AD Trevor Nunn's forthcoming All That Fall with actors speaking into microphones - very Wooster Group...

You are suggesting that the Beckett estate (who insisted on this conceit) are on the cutting edge of radical experimental theatre ? I jest of course, they couldn't be more different, but as Scott Carey so sagely noted:"So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens".

#10 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

For anyone interested you can book tickets for this now directly through the Riverside website - all seats £25 plus concessions. For any RSC London-based members who were expecting the RSC to maybe have the courtesy to inform them of this run at the Riverside and offer some priority booking, dream on.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users