#31 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Billington has given it 2 stars

which is double my score (which will no doubt appear shortly)

I have never been so angry in the theatre in my life.  It brings shame on the RSC

#32 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here is my full review

http://shallicompare...ida-review.html
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#33 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

This sounds like a total car crash!

I've booked for it (and it's too late to return my tickets) so I'm weighing up the cost of getting to Stratford, eating, and the large number of drinks it sounds like we'll need to get through it, against the cost of the tickets

I note the RSC has chosen today to announce their new team of Matildas, which a cynical view could see as a way of distracting attention!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#34 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

This guy reckons otherwise: http://www.illuminat...ar-and-lechery/

Interesting to read about Coriolan/us, too, as I'm seeing that on Saturday.

#35 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I guess if I made it through Marat/Sade I can make it through this :)

#36 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Jane Shilling in the Telegraph liked it, with minor reservations. "an intelligent and honourable realisation"

#37 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

The Telegraph commenters very much disagreed with her - and quite rightly.

My comments are finally available: http://www.whatsonst...sida (RSC).html

#38 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

View Postsimon from oxford, on 09 August 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I have never been so angry in the theatre in my life.

Clearly David Hare has failed.

View Postsimon from oxford, on 09 August 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

It brings shame on the RSC

Why? Because you don't have an interest in The Wooster Group?

I wonder whether the RSC listings, in its brochures and on its website, properly alerted people to the likely nature of this show. It's obvious from comments on reviews that many people attended this with utterly false expectations. In fact, your own review seems to suggest that you expected The Wooster Group to set aside 37 years of exceptional practice and attempt to ape the approach of the RSC. Your complaint is as ridiculous as a moan that the RSC actors didn't perform in the manner of The Wooster Group. The whole point of the show was to create a collision of the two distinct companies.

I'm seeing it next week, so I can't comment yet on what I got from it myself.

#39 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I have absolutely no problem with experimental theatre, nor do I have a problem with different performing styles being combined into one production.  What I have a problem with is the execution of this production.

The Wooster Group did seem to really struggle to make the text work for the audience.  It may be that was their desired effect - but you could sense the audience reacting badly towards every Trojan scene.  And that is a problem.

The use of radio mics for the Trojans was necessary to allow the actors to be heard over and above the soundscape but it meant that the language was lost far too frequently.  With a play of ideas rather than incident like T&C, this again is a problem.

There were problems with the RSC-helmed scenes - but they paled into insignificance when contrasted with the rest of the production.

I have seen many different approached to Shakespeare - with a range of international companies - and this really was the worst thing I have seen on a professional stage.

I went with an open mind, with knowing nothing about the Wooster Group - quite simply because I wanted to see whether I could fully appreciate the production without having to do lots of research ahead of time.  This, after all, is how the vast majority of audience members approach any piece of theatre.

I stand by my reaction to this production.  If it had been sold as a workshop production at a reduced cost, I would have been more accommodating of the flaws.  However this was a flagship component of a major festival and I can fully understand the reaction that it is getting.

The real shame is that this makes it much harder for the RSC to contemplate similar collaborations in the future.

#40 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I wonder how much the average RSC ticket buyer looks into the background of the production before buying tickets, or do they just assume one RSC show is much like another? I agree with Simon though that you shouldn't need to do research before going to the theatre!

The website (and I think the brochure) says ...

"a groundbreaking, multi-media collaboration between The Wooster Group and the RSC, commissioned for the World Shakespeare Festival."

"Formed in 1980, the company is well known for its experimental and innovative style."

So I guess the fact that it's a bit weird and has video screens shouldn't be a shock. I was aware of the Wooster Group but have never seen any of their work - other than a clip on a Channel 4 arts programme in the 1980s - not sure how often they have performed in the UK?

So far two out of four national press reviews have been positive (Wall Street Journal and Telegraph liked it, the Guardian didn't and the Express hated it) so a better critical reaction than (for instance) "Three Kingdoms" (which I liked)

Anyway, I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow!

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users