• Please log in to reply
813 replies to this topic

#1 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

Article from Musical Theatre News

As mentioned several times, Judy Craymer (Mamma Mia!) and Jennifer Saunders are already on board for the new Spice Girls musical Viva Forever which is due to open in London next year.

They are now in the process of adding another powerful force to their team and are in negotiations with top director Marianne Elliott  who co-directed London's National Theatre and New York smash hit War  Horse. Craymer and Saunders (who is writing the book) have been to New  York to see Elliott who is in rehearsals for War Horse at the Lincoln  Centre.

If it all works out Elliott will work with Saunders on the book and  stage a workshop of the musical, with the show planned to open in late  2012 or early 2013. All of the Spice Girls are involved in the show’s  development.

Viva Forever will revolve around a TV talent contest with Craymer aiming  to explore the nature of instant celebrity and how our culture is being  driven by Facebook and Twitter and the impact they have on fame.
Craymer said: “I’m interested in the sense of fame, and how it’s  sustained. People aren’t going to be asked to play the Spice Girls, per  se. There’ll be a wink at them and, of course, their songs”.   She made  clear that the show won’t be a biographical musical about the Spice  Girls.

Saunders’ first draft of Viva Forever features 18 numbers including Stop, Say You’ll Be There, Viva Forever and Never Give Up On the Good Times.

With three women at the helm Viva Forever really is promoting girl power.

#2 Guest_Hannah_*

Guest_Hannah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

It doesn't sound too bad. I've heard of and seen worse shows. And at least its not literally Spice Girls: The Musical. Quite topical with reality TV and online communities, and as the Spice Girls' songs are part of so many people's childhoods I can see quite a few people going to see it. Wouldn't estimate at how long it will last, but it sounds like a good team.

#3 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

Jennifer Saunders was on radio 2 today and said she was already on the second draft of the book. I don't hold out much hope, but hey I thought Desperately Seeking Susan was a surefire hit and Jersey Boys had flop written all over it.

#4 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

I really think this is going to be fabulous. Hoping for the best

#5 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

I do like The Spice Girls but they not are as iconic as say ABBA or Queen were plus they don't have that many songs. I will see out of curiosity but it will be interesting if lightning can strike twice for Judy Craymer.

I've always thought Duran Duran would be a great choice for a jukebox musical both musically and visually but I imagine it would have been done by now if the band or a producer were interested in making one.

#6 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

Spice Girls Musical delayed

#7 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

View Postsandeman, on 09 May 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

That's weird though, to me it reads as if it was meant to open this summer and will now be Christmas, or do they mean Christmas 2012? I LOVE Jennifer Saunders, but I feel the whole concept of being about girls on an X Factor type reality show will date it really quickly.

#8 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Not opening until 2012

#9 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members