813 replies to this topic

#141 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Completely agree with Daniels post above. I always try and see all the WE musicals at some point. This does not especially appeal being a "juke box" musical but with Jennifer Saunders on the book it may be better than most. But like Daniel I will wait for discounts.

#142 theatre_kirsty

theatre_kirsty

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have just seen the full cast announced and quite pleased with it. Especially for Helen Ternent. She worked her ass off in the Hairspray tour and High School musical tour. she deserves her West End break!

#143 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

http://www.vivaforev...al.com/cast.asp

Apart from the two leads previously announced and one or two familiar others, there's Tamara Wall as Simon Cowell..........and someone from Corri as Louis.
Otherwise they seem to have made a determined effort to cast  unknows in various degrees. Bit of a risk because they had people in the workshops I would pay to see even if the show was dire, but we will have to wait and see if it works.

#144 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

http://www.vivaforev...&sec=news#story

Photo and more details

#145 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

No star names. The producers are banking on the appeal of the Spice Girls music alone to sell the show. Cheaper to run of course without star names to pay. It is show BUSINESS after all. I am sure they are hoping for another cash cow like Mamma Mia.

#146 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 28 September 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

No star names. The producers are banking on the appeal of the Spice Girls music alone to sell the show. Cheaper to run of course without star names to pay. It is show BUSINESS after all. I am sure they are hoping for another cash cow like Mamma Mia.
Neither did Mamma Mia have names just a talented cast

#147 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 28 September 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Mamma Mia though has bigger songs,  and works in substantial part because Donna, Rosie and Tanya win the audience over  They can do that because/when  strong, experienced, actresses have been cast in the roles and the roles were written for that. . You can also get other characters to sing the songs and mix the sexes up with Abba's music. I also think that Mamma Mia (and WWRY) are intended to preserve a legacy which needs consistently strong casting - not sure why people with millions already in the  bank  would otherwise want the bother - though the JCS tour suggest there are other criteria.

The Spice Girls work because they have a distinct female sound and distinct characters that go with those sounds - if they sound different and the characters are different,  you are in very dangerous territory - as lots of people trying to sing the Spice Girls's on assorted talent shows have found out. Not many SG's songs work as solos,  and even the SGs who have tried singing them  solo haven't worked that well .If they can get characters as interesting as the SGs  with the ight sound it may work, but if it ends up like Little Mix singing the Spice Girls,  it may not. They may  have decided to go for newcomers to go with the reality theme (though someone who had actually done a show might have been a good option) and there's a real question who would go for the job if they had opened up the age bracket and gone for a group of WestEnd stars .My fantasy siupergroup of WE Spice Girls might not have wanted the job, but they needn't have gone for as few known names as they have.

#148 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Mamma Mia! is good but I think had the story not worked, it wouldn't have run as long as it has.

#149 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think alot will depend on Jennifer Saunders book. If it's good - it just might save it. I agree with djp's thoughts - the songs do not lend themselves to solos.

#150 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I think it will be a runaway hit. Everything promotion wise has been brilliant so far - and the girls performing must have done wonders (imagine if ABBA had performed again once they had announced MM!). I think the hype from all 5 being at the press night and from the documentary will mean quite a few people might be getting tickets for Christmas - there's plenty of Mothers out there that remember how their daughters (and some sons lol) used to love them back in the day. Couple that with the idea of shopping in London early in the new year, and it seems like a good idea.

I think it's fairly obvious that this is expecting to go stateside - for me that seems like a much more interesting idea - will this work over there and I there enough demand for the girls? They sold out on their American tour in 2008, so I certainly hope so!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users