813 replies to this topic

#171 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

samsam you are looking at it from the regular theatregoer's point of view.. I think the show will sell bucketloads from one time visitors and tourists ( kind of like Mamma Mia as others have mentioned) ..I know 3 people who have seen it this week and raved about how fantastic it was and they loved it and want to go again ( none of the 3 have been to any west end show in years and are just Spice Girls fans ! ) and I think thats where it is going to do so well

#172 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

It's the same reason shows like We Will Rock You have survived for as long as they have, Never Forget being another good example. People go as they want to hear the songs presented on stage in some fashion or another - I think a lot of people just zone totally out when there's no music playing in that kind of show.

Mamma Mia did a very good job of combining the ABBA tracks with a fluffy enough plot which (if performed well) is rather endearing, every jukebox show since then ultimately has been trying to do the same thing - problem being most back catalogues do not lend themselves to MT as well as ABBA's.

I'd be surprised if it shuts before the end of 2014, there are enough fans who can be dragged out to see it to sustain it.

#173 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

18 months-2 years seem about right it Thriller's been running for almost 4 years so who knows how long VF but I can't see it being the next Mamma Mia! Or WWRY.

Our House was my favourite jukebox musical but the story was strong enough that it could have easily worked with original songs.

#174 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostJon, on 30 November 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

18 months-2 years seem about right it Thriller's been running for almost 4 years so who knows how long VF but I can't see it being the next Mamma Mia! Or WWRY.

Our House was my favourite jukebox musical but the story was strong enough that it could have easily worked with original songs.

Depends a bit on what Viva is meant to be. if its designed as  a quick vehicle to cash in on a fanbase,  it doesn't have to last long and it won't matter if fans go once, and find its nothing much to do with the Spice Girls, and the general audience stays away. Depending on just how enticing it is, the fanbase will be big enough to keep it going for a few years. If they want a legacy and are prepared to throw money at it they  can keep it on as long as they  want to pay for it - does anyone go to see Thriller??? If you want  a paying, lasting, legacy, you need to master the problem of making something different sound as good as,  or better than,  the original , get a big feelgood factor,  take real care of it, build a returning fanbase, and cast really really strong people to sing it so that its a musical highlight in its own right. Mamma Mia and WWRY seem to have done that successfully. I am not sure what Viva set out to do, as its avoided doing  many of the things Mamma Mia and WWRY successfully did.

#175 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I know it's bad of me.. But I can't wait to see it now. I love a truly terrible musical every now and then to remind me how great the good ones are when they come around. It's just a shame for the talented cast ..

#176 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I saw this on Wednesday - 2nd preview. It wasn't what I'd expected and overall, I think I was disappointed.
The book is really good. Very witty with lots of funny loud-out-loud moments. The songs are good, but some of the arrangements didn't work in my opinion. There are a few great individual performances especially from Sally Dexter and Lucy Montgomery. I think the best thing about the whole show was the opening sequence!
I've made a video on youtube sharing my thoughts if anyone wants to have a look - just search 'Viva Forever Review' on there :)
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#177 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I've not seen it yet, but as a Spice fan they have spent the last few years attempting to solidify their reputation and create a genuine legacy. Considering the show isn't even a week into previews, things seem to be going well on their side - TV interviews, magazine interviews, confirmed group attendance at the premiere, a christmas eve TV musical special and Virgin are repromoting their greatest hits album this Christmas - there's certainly a Spice Girl presence at the moment.

There's also the fact that there's actually a lot of good feeling towards them as a group once again. In that respect the Olympics did wonders for them - a genuine highlight of the closing.

I think they really want this to run and run, and in a way I hope it does for them. Of course I've not seen it, but the thing about the Spice Girls' catalogue is that they are really good, out and out pop songs - which of course is what ABBA had going for them too. Of course for some they are guilty pleasure songs, but for a generation they are also the songs of their childhood.

So if the book is good, I think it's in with a fighting chance. My only concern is that Jennifer Saunders' humour is extremely British - will it translate globally?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#178 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Mamma Mia! is still running on Broadway which is surprising considering ABBA were nowhere near as popular over here than the rest of the world but I think Judy Craymer will bring it to Broadway within a year or two, maybe replacing Mamma Mia! at the Winter Garden Theatre?

#179 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

the thing that surprised me, and im of the generation that grew up with them, is how few of the songs i actually knew. They really didnt have THAT many stand alone hits to make a musical (i guess why album and solo songs have been included). Unlike Abba and Queen where pretty much every song is hit after hit that even a non fan would probably know. With viva forever you need to be more of a hard core fan to know all the songs

#180 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostJon, on 02 December 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Mamma Mia! is still running on Broadway which is surprising considering ABBA were nowhere near as popular over here than the rest of the world but I think Judy Craymer will bring it to Broadway within a year or two, maybe replacing Mamma Mia! at the Winter Garden Theatre?

Well in fairness then, that's a testament to the quality of the show and the songs - I suspect many people see Mamma Mia who aren't familiar with all/many of the songs.

Broadway will definitely happen, but whilst the Spices cracked it, they weren't quite as popular as they were here. But they did a huge sell out tour in 2008, but obviously Broadway is one venue in 1 city. It'll be interesting though!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users