#191 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostIan, on 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Sounds perfect casting for the Spice Girls then !!

Not really. They seemed to have gone for the twin logics that the girls should be new, inexperienced, and fresh to match the book,   and that they  couldn't have been on TV for the lets attack reality TV angle. As soon as they decided that they seem to have cut out casting  any of  the really strong 20 somethings ALW had sucessfully found for his Dorothy series who now have experience,  and anyone else outstanding who had established themselves recently in the young roles in WWRY, Mamma Mia, Blood Brothers, Legally or Wizard.

The problem with the Spice Girls isn't that they can't sing.They obviously worked well enough together to sell.  It may be that not all of them sang much and one ends up singing not much at all. That means you can't recreate a group of 5 without it  sounding different -  or people noting a changed character,  and having 4 identifiable singers begs the question who has gone. That may mean  you then revert to the show not being about a band really at all,  and certainly not one with the familiar strong characters or similar ones. Once you do that,  you end up not recreating what the Spice Girls do well which is sing together, in combinations that sound striking and/or good, whilst providing striking individual characters. Mel B and Mel C closing Viva Forever,  and Emma leading on  2 Become One are beautiful -  if done properly. its difficult to see how anything works if you don't have similar voices singing it in very similar ways with similar harmonies. If you don't have anything that  actually sounds like the  Spice Girls,  you probably need  stronger singers than the Spice Girls o make it sound good.

Either way - going for a Spice Girls sound or great solos and duets -  there's enough potential there for enough great songs. If you created a West End all stars group  increasing the age range up to people who could play late 20s, or  cast a group of TV Dorothies and  other recent young successes,  I suspect the Spice girls songs could sound really good. Actually, if you just used some of the current and  recent WWRY Meats and Scaramouches and their understudies,  I think it might sound brilliant.

#192 LouiseL

LouiseL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I really wanted to love this musical! I love the spice girls and was so excited to see viva Forever! But I was hugely disappointed!! I didn't really get the show-it wasn't exactly 'girl power'. I think I will watch it again maybe when it's had time to settle in and hopefully they will have made some changes!

#193 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Do you think this would be a good Xmas present for a massive Spice Girls fan? Even though the production and book may not be up to too much?

#194 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

No, the arrangements of the songs are poor and the spice girls fans next to me were frustrated until the megamix.

#195 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

View Postjaqs, on 06 December 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

No, the arrangements of the songs are poor and the spice girls fans next to me were frustrated until the megamix.

If this is the case then what hope is there for this show?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#196 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postmallardo, on 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

If this is the case then what hope is there for this show?

None? Three friends went last night, all of them massive Spice Girl and Ab Fab fans, all of them lovers of camp silly nonsense. Not one of them has a good word to say about the show. They mentioned punchlines being greeted with derisive groans from the audience and people leaving at the interval as well as in droves during the curtain call and megamix.

#197 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

What a horrible show . The opening where the cast just stand on stage shouting Wannabe is the worst opening number I've ever seen. It's not staged in anyway at all.
The 'characters' are non existent. The lead girl cannot sing.. A problem considering she's meant to be talented.
Poor Sally Dexter. The only one who comes close to being given a character to play.. She deserves so much better. All of the humour is groan worthy and dated.

I've seen every new musical in London for the last 40 years and this is by far the worst. It has not one single moment where it rise above being treadful. A horrible cynical show to cash in on people who loved Mamma Mia and fans of The Spice Girls. I don't wish to see a cast of actors out of work , but I hope it fails.. The west end needs shows of a higher quality than this. Hen Partys and Essex Girls have had their fair share of shows and now it's time for some proper musicals to occupy our theatres.

#198 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

(Dreadful)

#199 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Oh dear, I'm actually scared to watch it now. There's two people in the cast I really want to see (one of them being a swing which makes sorting out a date to see the show a real pain) so I will go at some point. But judging from what I've read so far it might end up being a once and never again experience.

#200 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

God! It sounds as if it is a dreadful show, with team it has I guessed it would be great! Love Sally dexter but think I will wait a while before I see it! Will be interesting to see what the reviews say! When is opening night? I think I heard around the 11th!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users