813 replies to this topic

#221 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've finally manged to put down my feelings on my blog, but it really is a cynical, artless money making excercise. To be honest I feel sorry for the cast who surely realise what a crock they are performing in. By the way Parsley, they only had £85 seats when I booked (my Mum's in town it was meant to be a pre-Christmas treat for her, she said she felt she was at an amateur production and she usually loves everything). Here's a link to my blog review if you fancy it, to be honest I'm even wondering why I gave it two stars http://www.frontrowd...tre-monday.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#222 argen

argen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Went to see this last night, and oh dear... I have no words to describe how bad this was!!!!

The opening is just FLAT... there's no other way to say it.. instead of using a big song to set the mood, it's just boring dialogue.The ''story'' was all over the place, the songs all cut .. half of them you wouldn't recognize.. and the other half were completely ruined (Say you'll be there, one of my favorites, just a couple of verses and then cut by nonsense dialogue)....

What is the deal with ''Spice up your life''??????????? With all the spanish dancers, and then in the middle a dance which looked like it came out of the lion king... oh dear.. just horrible!!!!!!!!!!

The book is not funny, the costume is nothing to get too excited about.. I still don't understand why Viva's Mentor (sorry i don't remember her name!) had so many songs while the girls barely appear after the first scenes... and WHY she comes in at the end of the first act when viva and her mum are singing goodbye/mama ???? What does she have to do with anything??? At first I thought (as someone said before) that she would end up being Viva's birth mother, but this didn't happen.. so I don't see an explanation for her being so important in the story.

Overall I was bored 90% of the time, the only exciting moment was the last 5 minutes of the show when the cast was dancing spice up your life/wannabe/stop.. Now that is how the whole show should have been!!! Fun and silly.. in a mamma mia or priscilla sort of way....

Disappointed! Not going to watch this again! Feeling bad for all the performers working in it, as I'm sure they have to know how horrible this show is..
So far.... Wicked / Spring Awakening / Beauty & The beast / We will rock you / Cats / Cabaret / Avenue Q/ Piaf / The lion King / The sound of music / Hairspray / Sweet Charity / The producers / Rent /Tick Tick Boom! / The last 5 Years / Sister Act / Oliver / I love you, youre perfect, now change / Chicago / Legally Blonde / La Cage aux folles / Hair / Tap Dogs /Jersey Boys / Drowsy Chaperone / Spiderman Turn of the dark / Memphis / The Addams Family / Million Dollar Quartet / Priscilla Queen of the Desert / American Idiot / Mary Poppins / In the Heights/ Betwixt / Crazy for you / Viva Forever / Singing in the rain / Ordinary Days / Les Miserables / Next to normal / Dreamboats and petticoats / Rock of Ages /

#223 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postptwest, on 11 December 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I would argue that this is just right for the Spice Girls!

But seriously, their records were all about spirit, branding and marketing. Strip that away, and how many of their songs were actually any good? IMO one of the reasons that Mamma Mia and We Will Rock you have survived is that as well as having a huge fasnbase, the songs are theatrical enough to stand up in a musical. The Spice Girls were all about frothy, throwaway pop - nothing more, nothing less, and unless VF manages to capture the silliness of it all then it is probably doomed in the long run. I probably wont see this show, my fears when i heard the lack of imagination in calling the lead character "Viva" in order to get the title seems to have been confirmed.

I actually disagree with this. While I don't think the girls themselves were that talented, their songs are brilliantly catchy and I think they are only thing that could have saved the musical in its current form. The only reason they don't save it is because the arrangements are terrible. AND also, they have used too many album tracks. I know and love all of the SG songs but they have not used them appropriately and alongside the awful book, it's just a recipe for disaster.

I, however, don't think the reviews will be that bad as they will have celebrity magazines reviewing aswell as theatre critics. I can just imagine Heat or Closer jumping on this musical and the general british public will still go in droves to see it.

#224 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Whats surprised me is how drab the show looks in the new production shots. I was expecting life and colour (ala Mamma Mia) but it just looks meh

#225 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Just seen the production shots, nothing like what i expected, bit surprised!

#226 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Just watched some youtube footage

Really surprised, doesn't look anything special,  nothing like what i expected

#227 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Poststrallenfan, on 11 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I actually disagree with this. While I don't think the girls themselves were that talented, their songs are brilliantly catchy and I think they are only thing that could have saved the musical in its current form. The only reason they don't save it is because the arrangements are terrible. AND also, they have used too many album tracks. I know and love all of the SG songs but they have not used them appropriately and alongside the awful book, it's just a recipe for disaster.

I, however, don't think the reviews will be that bad as they will have celebrity magazines reviewing aswell as theatre critics. I can just imagine Heat or Closer jumping on this musical and the general british public will still go in droves to see it.

The reviews will be Terrible, the advance is thru feb and Judith Cramer is rich

#228 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

If that video shows the highlights I dread to think what the rest of it is like.. I'm not sure why I even watched it as I always planned to avoid this like the plague.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#229 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Posh is asleep

#230 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

There's a lot of top class West End singers not doing anything at the moment who could make the Spice Girls songs sound good enough, and no shortage of talent in a lot of current ensebles too.

View Postptwest, on 11 December 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I would argue that this is just right for the Spice Girls!

But seriously, their records were all about spirit, branding and marketing. Strip that away, and how many of their songs were actually any good? IMO one of the reasons that Mamma Mia and We Will Rock you have survived is that as well as having a huge fasnbase, the songs are theatrical enough to stand up in a musical. The Spice Girls were all about frothy, throwaway pop - nothing more, nothing less, and unless VF manages to capture the silliness of it all then it is probably doomed in the long run. I probably wont see this show, my fears when i heard the lack of imagination in calling the lead character "Viva" in order to get the title seems to have been confirmed.

Mamma Mia and WWRY offer more money notes i agree. But a lot of established musicals don't have that many good songs - some have one or two - and there's probably enough mileage for a moving song in the likes of Viva Forever, Two Become One or Goodbye -  as well as the energetic dance numbers - and the  utter schmallz in Mama.  They  could also have used  3 or 4 of Melanie 'C's Geri's and Emma's solo hits -  which wouldn't have been so hard to shoe horn into a story,  and lend themseles to powerful solos or big dance numbers. I turn to you and its Raining Men are as good as many  musicals can boast. They also had 5 strong characters to start  with, without having to think them up,  and they could have permed the home accents if they wanted to make them differ from the original group. There's no reason why the new Emma can't come from, say, Scotland,  or Mel B from London, or Geri from Essex.

What they don't seem to have done is to follow  the Mama Mia example and to make the songs if anything bigger and bolder, or the WWRY/Mamma  Mia principle of getting some of the best people  around in to sing them. They  seem to have done something entirely different  - which is to write a juke box musical that doesn't actually play the songs,  and a Spice Girls  free,  homage to the Spice Girls . .It sounds like what you would get if someone went away with the lyrics, hadn't heard the songs, and tried to fit a few lines  in here and there into a comedy sketch. I suspect if the book made some sense,  there's a lot of top class West End singers free at the moment who could make the Spice Girls songs sound good enough, and no shortage of talent in a lot of current ensembles too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users