813 replies to this topic

#251 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

I haven't seen the show so I cannot make any comment about it.Let's for one moment ignore the critics.The thing about WWRY,MAMMA MIA and RoA is the audience..paying public..have loved them and thats why they are still going strong.Ok sure there are some who hate jukebox musicals like these.It has been very noticeable on forums such as this,Twitter, Facebook etc that the vast majority people who have paid to go and see Viva - many of them going purely as Spice Girls fans - have NOT enjoyed it.That seems to be the difference.It might be that the high prices are putting people off and once the presales and initial sales dwindle the good discounts ( like WWRY and RoA) might encourage more to see it ?

#252 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

The lack of people rushing to the defence of this show is rather worrying. I can see that the critics were at odds with the public over WWRY & ROA but it seems everyone is like minded about Viva.

#253 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Is RoA really doing that well? The fact its moving theatres suggests that it isn't doing great business but not bad enough to warrant a closure.

#254 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

"Yes WWRY did get terrible reviews and it is still running 10 years later!"

Yes, but in the beginning, the sales were so negatively affected by the reviews, everyone in the show was informed they would be closing by September if things didn't turn around. Then they performed at the Queen's Jubilee concert and it took off from there. Somehow, I don't think VIVA FOREVER will be able to pull that miracle off as the word of mouth from pretty much everyone is as horrific as the reviews. But then Judy Craymer has enough money to keep the show running at a loss for about 85 years, so who knows?

#255 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

The celebrity freeloader guests are all tweeting positively today, not sure if they were swayed by the dessert table at the party which seems to have had a higher budget than the set and costumes.

#256 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Totally and utterly slaughtered.

They had this coming.

It's made my year.

It has restored my faith in theatre critics and also the whole point of having professional reviews.
To help guide the theatregoing public.
And to avoid them wasting their hard earned money.

I thought it was very odd that the Guardian sent a "music critic" (if you can call him that) to see a theatre show. As a result he has been rather generous with the star rating. Hah!

Otherwise:

Guardian ***
Times **
Independent **
WOS **
The Standard **
The Express **
Telegraph *
Daily Mail *
Time Out *
The Mirror- negative review
The Stage- negative review

Happy Xmas Judy Craymer!

Sorry, just read Peter Brown's review on londontheatre.co.uk and almost p***** myself laughing,

"...the production values are high and the songs are well-sung"

#257 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

1/5 in Time Out

http://www.timeout.c...28/viva-forever

#258 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postdrmaplewood, on 12 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Gosh, that's a corker, isn't it? And even the user reviews are only mustering an average of 2 stars. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the show's long term potential.

#259 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1251 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 12 December 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

"Yes WWRY did get terrible reviews and it is still running 10 years later!"

Yes, but in the beginning, the sales were so negatively affected by the reviews, everyone in the show was informed they would be closing by September if things didn't turn around. Then they performed at the Queen's Jubilee concert and it took off from there. Somehow, I don't think VIVA FOREVER will be able to pull that miracle off as the word of mouth from pretty much everyone is as horrific as the reviews. But then Judy Craymer has enough money to keep the show running at a loss for about 85 years, so who knows?

The thing about WWRY is that it's got some genuinely brilliant songs incredibly well-sung, and, since Freddy Mercury is sadly no longer with us, people don't have the opportunity to see the original versions performed live any more. Plus, there's a nice little tribute to the man himself in there. And althought the plot is nonsensical, it is quite funny in places. It's basically sing-along-a-Queen, and occasionally Brian May even turns up on stage to join in.

The Spice Girls are all alive and kicking, and reformed for a tour not so long ago - which didn't get great reviews. Really dedicated Spice fans are more likely to want to see the real thing than a pale imitation, especially if the songs are not well arranged or perfromed.

#260 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Parsley, you didn't like the show. We get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users