#261 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostJamie Kenny, on 12 December 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Parsley, you didn't like the show. We get it.

Nobody seems to like the show, in fairness.

#262 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

The thing about WWRY is that it's got some genuinely brilliant songs incredibly well-sung, and, since Freddy Mercury is sadly no longer with us, people don't have the opportunity to see the original versions performed live any more. Plus, there's a nice little tribute to the man himself in there. And althought the plot is nonsensical, it is quite funny in places. It's basically sing-along-a-Queen, and occasionally Brian May even turns up on stage to join in.

The Spice Girls are all alive and kicking, and reformed for a tour not so long ago - which didn't get great reviews. Really dedicated Spice fans are more likely to want to see the real thing than a pale imitation, especially if the songs are not well arranged or perfromed.

I think the fact you can't see Queen in its original lineup and ABBA live probably helps shows like Mamma Mia! and WWRY whereas some jukebox musicals have died because you could see the original performers live for the same money.

#263 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Mamma Mia actually works as a musical in itself, though. WWRY is just an excuse to hear a bunch of Queen songs being belted out - but it knows it, so is extravagantly silly in between numbers.

Never Forget took a po-faced approach to the Take That back catalogue and didn't last long - I forget, did it close before or after Take That had their comeback?

#264 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 12 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Mamma Mia actually works as a musical in itself, though. WWRY is just an excuse to hear a bunch of Queen songs being belted out - but it knows it, so is extravagantly silly in between numbers.

Never Forget took a po-faced approach to the Take That back catalogue and didn't last long - I forget, did it close before or after Take That had their comeback?

NF closed after Take That had their comeback. It only did 8 months in the West End IIRC,

#265 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I actually think WWRY has a good concept for a story its just poorly executed.

Agreed Mamma Mia works as a musical in its own right, and knows exactly what it is.  It did start out as going for a more serious tone but they quickly realised tongue in cheek was the way to go and changed it...maybe Viva should have done the same thing.

A big advance can be eaten through easily if it doesnt take off after the reviews. I believe The Sun gave it a decent review, but its interesting the Mirror didnt.

#266 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostParsley, on 12 December 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

They'll use that star rating outside the theatre.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#267 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

I think the best thing is for the show to close.. Sally Ann Triplett can slip back into Mamma Mia... Sally Dexter can get a part worthy of her talents and the theatre can have a new tenant. Simples.

#268 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I was really looking forward to this as I grew up in the 90s and like the Spice Girls' music, so I'm disappointed to see it seems to be really bad! I'd thought about going last Saturday but there were no seats left - having since read all the negative comments on here, I'm now glad I didn't waste my money, I was even prepared to pay full price for a ticket. Now I don't think I'd go even if I could get a discounted ticket, not when it costs so much for me to get down to London, and there are other shows I could see which I know I'd enjoy. That "highlights" video does nothing for me at all, in fact Mama sounds awful! I can't warm to the character of Viva at all but her mum seems a good character. I thought they'd show some of the other girls in the band, and the judges/mentors, as I thought they were significant parts. I don't think I've seen anything in the slightest bit positive about this, which is worrying. I rarely care what the official reviews say about new shows, as it's comments from places like this forum which give me an idea of what to expect. If the comments on here were a bit more balanced, I'd be more inclined to go myself and make my own mind up, but until I hear anything positive about it I just don't fancy it.

I never knew WWRY nearly closed so soon after opening, I only got into it in 2005. I'm pleased they managed to turn things around. I love that and also enjoy Mamma Mia and Never Forget so thought this would be my type of show. It seems very strange to me though that they only seem to include bits of songs, as surely that's why most people go to these sorts of shows? I would possibly consider going to see this if it toured and came close to me on a day I didn't have anything better to do, just to see if it really is that bad!!
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#269 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

http://www.radiotime...al-viva-forever

Even the Radio Times review of it is terrible. Good lord.

#270 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

WWRY is an interesting one. The cast were given notice, and a sequal to WWRY was supposedly going into the Dominion. The sequal does exist on draught form, Ben Elton again. Anyway, sales picked up and they withdrew the notice to leave and it had been going ever since.

It will be interesting to see which lasts longer, Viva or Bodyguard. Spice Girls are a bigger pull, but reviews are markedly worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users