813 replies to this topic

#281 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I cannot bring myself to go and see this, even if I do like Simon Adkins.... especially as it would seem he has little / nothing to do as a member of the ensemble.
Spice Girls is more my daughters generation, and while I like some of the music (for the cheese factor) from that time, they always really annoyed me.   I cringed my through the "hi-lights" and came to the conclusion that, if those were the hi-lights, then goodness help this show, because it looks dreadful!
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#282 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Just watched the so-called 'highlights' video. All I can say is, if that's the highlights then the rest of the show must be diabolical! I couldn't even recognise which songs were which apart from 'Spice up your Life'

#283 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postdjp, on 15 December 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

You may just like enough of it.

Thanks for the encouragement, but by the sounds of it any parts I did like would be seriously outweighed by the rest of it.

View Postdjp, on 15 December 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

....  I think big chunks of  the show would cure insomnia.  

Haha I think this has to be the best quote I've read on this show - imagine if they put that on the advertising material!!

View PostParsley, on 15 December 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

I found the jokes about cancer really quite tasteless.

This is the final straw for me, I see no reason why they have to include things like that. I'd have thought JS of all people would have thought about how people might view this after what she's been through. I realise some people may find this sort of thing amusing and not take offense, but you have to be so careful with how other people can see these things and what some people find amusing, others may take offense at.

I see there is a TV show on over Xmas (think it's Xmas Eve) about the Spice Girls and the making of this show, so it will be interesting to see how that is viewed and what sort of an impression it gives. I think I'll watch it, or start to at least, and see if I can get any more of an opinion on this show.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#284 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

told ya so.

View Postsamsam1985, on 28 November 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Oh my goodness. What a let down. Went in with such high hopes because these songs are so good that I THOUGHT they could not be ruined. How wrong could I be. The songs are classics but they were ruined because they weren't brought to life n any way, shape or form. The audience were itching to hear these songs sung with heart and gusto but instead we got lacklustre duets and the songs didnt bring anything to the show. There was far too much (poor) dialogue and the characters were plain ridiculous, despite having some real talent in the cast. The show was all about Viva but it should have been centred around the four girls. This may have meant that the songs would have at least had some harmonies and some substance. Instead Two Become One was sung on a bed by two people. The whole of the upper circle were at this point so frustrated that they were trying to sing/laugh along. Bits that were good: the opening video sequences set the scene well and the opening ensemble number was quite rousing. Act I finale lacklustre and the ending of the show just plain bizarre and totally flat. Im a musical theatre fan and enjoy a wide range of shows which is why I had such high hopes here. The show needs so much work that they will need a preview period of at least 5 months to rewrite it, rework all the songs and bring this piece to life. I really hope it isn't too late.

#285 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostRozzi Rainbow, on 16 December 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Thanks for the encouragement, but by the sounds of it any parts I did like would be seriously outweighed by the rest of it.

Haha I think this has to be the best quote I've read on this show - imagine if they put that on the advertising material!!

This is the final straw for me, I see no reason why they have to include things like that. I'd have thought JS of all people would have thought about how people might view this after what she's been through. I realise some people may find this sort of thing amusing and not take offense, but you have to be so careful with how other people can see these things and what some people find amusing, others may take offense at.

I see there is a TV show on over Xmas (think it's Xmas Eve) about the Spice Girls and the making of this show, so it will be interesting to see how that is viewed and what sort of an impression it gives. I think I'll watch it, or start to at least, and see if I can get any more of an opinion on this show.

Their added problem is that some of the jokes and visual gags are actually good, but if I told you them, or they used them in the highlights, there would be no point in going.........Thats why they needed to have some musical highlights that people would want to see live for their highlights....

9 to 5 is touring near London quite a bit next year.  i thought that was much better - Legally Blonde light. the best bit would be if the  Ghost tour moves back in post tour where it shouldn't have left........

#286 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

The making of Viva show is going to be interesting.  Did it start by deciding to avoid Spice Girl comparisons?  Did no one say at any point what are we doing here? How did they end up with the cast t they did?  Why would a Spice Girl want a musical that had lyrics but not  their full songs at their best possible ? Had the people writing it and producing it ever seen the songs sung?

#287 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

it doesnt read like a making of as such, more like using the musical opening as a chance to have a retrospective on the spice girls and what they achieved. its such a primetime slot on itv i cant see a primetime programme being purely an indepth making of a musical documentary

#288 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostTitan, on 16 December 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

it doesnt read like a making of as such, more like using the musical opening as a chance to have a retrospective on the spice girls and what they achieved. its such a primetime slot on itv i cant see a primetime programme being purely an indepth making of a musical documentary

Thanks. I think I saw some bits of making the musical in some excerpt -   but thats more  likely.

Seems a bit odd though to have a documentary showing the Spice Girls/girl power as was - to advertise a show where they are absent for all but a few minutes. Is it really really wise  to build the wrong expectation?

#289 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostTitan, on 16 December 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

This is part of the description given in my TV mag

... The programme also looks at the making of Viva Forever! ....... as JS and JC reveal how hits such as Wannabe and WDYTYA have been reinterpreted for the West End stage.

It looks like a bit of both, so maybe we might get to find out more about the stage show. It's on Xmas Eve at 8.30pm on ITV1.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#290 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Have any changes been made during the previews? I'm not sure I remember any jokes about cancer when I went at the beginning of December - what is this?

This ranks as my biggest musical theatre disappointment of the year. Possibly the last 5 years. Someone said to me recently (who hadn't seen the show) that a Spice Girls musical would write itself. With someone as talented as JS behind it, I really expected better. I thought because it hadn't been stunt cast, it had a genuinely funny writer behind it and I already loved the Spice Girls, it was sure fire hit. This has bummed me out!

Bring back Ghost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users