www.frontrowdress.com

#32 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Interesting! Looks like it's the Piccadilly then with Ghost either moving or closing. Moving I guess, if it's still doing OK over here unlike Broadway!

#33 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I can't see it moving, if this is true (westendproducer could just be stirring) I'd expect it'll close. It's been discounting for a long time and I suspect it's expensive to run. The broadway shows running costs are estimated around the $550,000 mark a week

#34 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

It's interesting that Jersey Boys has been able to keep the Prince Edward, it must be doing well enough or it would have closed by now. I wouldn't be surprised if it does move in the next year or so.

Mamma Mia's move from the Prince of Wales to the Novello was odd considering it was still selling well and it's not really a downgrade in terms of capacity, I guess Cameron just wanted a steady hit at the Novello and to free the PoW for a new show.

#35 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Jersey Boys is still doing pretty well I think though the Prince Edward is too big for it and a lot of the time there are loads of empty seats. It was meant to be moving to the Novello but then it was decided to move Mamma Mia there instead after the Olympics.

#36 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

The Prince Edward is far too big for JB, the show in NY is at a 1200 seater theatre compared to the 1600 seats for the PE but I imagine the running costs for JB aren't that high.

I'm guessing they're waiting for the right show for the PE, the rumoured Miss Saigon revival has been touted as well as Cameron Mackintosh's long gestated new production of Barnum.

#37 shane54

shane54

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

http://broadwayworld...r-2012-20120531

#38 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Looks like the rumours were true, wonder when Ghost will announce its closing date?

Late 2012/early 2013 looks to be shaping up nicely with Viva and Bodyguard in November then Book of Mormon in the Spring. I'm hoping that either Once or Newsies transfer but I'm not expecting that to happen until late 2013/early 2014.

#39 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostJon, on 31 May 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

The Prince Edward is far too big for JB, the show in NY is at a 1200 seater theatre compared to the 1600 seats for the PE but I imagine the running costs for JB aren't that high.

I'm guessing they're waiting for the right show for the PE, the rumoured Miss Saigon revival has been touted as well as Cameron Mackintosh's long gestated new production of Barnum.

I don't think Jersey Boys will be going anywhere any time soon. It's still doing very well. I know booking periods only mean so much but it has recently been extended to October 2013 as well. The Novello rumours certainly were strong I know but am not sure how realistic they were, considering how much room is needed sub-stage for Jersey Boys (although admittedly I can't quote exact dimensions!) I think it would only ever be ousted for a tried and tested smash, along the Miss Saigon lines as you mentioned.

As for Viva, I guess it's got to be given a chance. I presume it'll need some big names somehow to survive for any considerable length of time. I think it would have been way too much of a risk for the size of the Prince Edward anyhow.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#40 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Jersey Boys if it can do another year will beat Mamma Mia's run as the second longest running show at the Prince Edward.

As for Viva, I'm unsure whether it can work, with Mamma Mia! the songs and the story just fit whereas the Spice Girls don't really have the same iconic status as ABBA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users