#301 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 26 December 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'm afraid once someone's had 'work' done, comments on their looks are fair game, no matter what else they've done. It's not personal, it's just the way it is.

Indeed. She looks ridiculous. My husband asked me if she was a man, it was a notable feature of the programme.

I think JK did wonders with Mamma Mia, however the programme did not make me want to see Viva Forever (however she looks!) What did others think? I thought it looked very un-spectacular; even the performance scenes they showed at the end looked like rehearsal. The whole thing is clearly a huge commercial venture - nothing wrong with that, but seems to have little soul & feeling as Mamma Mia did.

#302 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I agree - everytime she was on-screen, she was distracting.  I found myself wondering why she'd go to all the trouble of having her forehead frozen when she could just have had a flattering haircut with a fringe.  I've never understood why people get botoxed.  It invariably gives them a waxy and unnatural look.

#303 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Her hair looks like something has landed on her. I wish she spent more time vetting the script than going shopping and having cosmetic work done to look younger. Then she may have had a better show on her hands.

#304 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postjaqs, on 27 December 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Do people have legs removed for cosmetic reasons?

This show may end up costing the producers an arm and a leg :wacko:

Nothing I saw in the doc made me want to actually go and see the show, which is a massive failure for what was essentially 90 minutes of free advertising for it.
Which way did he go McGill?

#305 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

jamiem i find that so funny coming from you who make loads of snide/snarky comments on here. Yes she produced Mamma Mia brilliantly, but what she has done to her face is awful. She could barely move her mouth. The two dont have anything to do with eachother. The whole documentary was one big advert for pure promotion, so yes its completely fair to pick up on her look. The same as everyone passes comment when a vain celebrity has had work done and its made them look worse or just plain odd.

And someone being disabled is not the same as someones vanity going for (poor) cosmetic surgery. Its insulting to even compare the two.

#306 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I enjoyed the TV show on Monday, and actually liked the clips from the show much more than I thought I would. I liked what they seem to have done with the songs they showed, and this seems to have been the one thing that has given me a little bit of encouragement to go and see the show! I'm still not in any great rush to go, and would only consider it if I could get a discounted ticket and fit it in around other shows I want to see, but that's a step further towards wanting to go than I was this time last week. Depending on how long it stays open for I might not actually get there, and at the moment I wouldn't be too disappointed if that happened, but I am at least a little bit intrigued now.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#307 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostQuincyMD, on 27 December 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

This show may end up costing the producers an arm and a leg :wacko:

Nothing I saw in the doc made me want to actually go and see the show, which is a massive failure for what was essentially 90 minutes of free advertising for it.

i don't care what the producers look like. I thought the TV show was interesting because the producer and director  confirmed the early decisions were what they seemed to be. They decided to use the lyrics without recreating the distinctive sound or the characters that made the songs so successful. And they then decided to go for  a raw fresh cast that didn't sound too MT trained. They followed the Mamma Mia example -  without ensuring the essentials that the actual singing was clearly  recognisable, as good or better than the original - with enough singers to match,   and without providing an exciting routine to watch or get involved in for most of the songs. The question is how so many people decided this was a fabulous  novel idea that would work?

The singing on theTV documentary wasn't totally representative of the show. The duets and solos sounded a bit better on TV. The casual impression was that the show is more like the final singalong moments than it is. The show that might have been managed to escape  a bit more in the TV documentary. Tamara almost stole the scenes in the TV show too though - she's a comic treat in an underspiced meal.

#308 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I bought tickets for this show before the previews as a Christmas present for my husband and my friend - since it opened and the dreadful reviews poured in I was worried they'd be less than grateful for the present, but they are both very excited to see this still. Twitter comments seem to suggest some people are enjoying it, hopefully it will make for a good night out at the very least!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#309 ap156

ap156

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Forget all the comments, go with a positive attitude, I thought the same after reading the previews, but thoroughly enjoyed it, there is nothing to dislike!

#310 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

It is dreadful. Anyone that thinks its good has serious quality control issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users