813 replies to this topic

#331 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

it had a decent advance, and they wont give up easily. unless advance sales just stop dead then i think they will fight it out to summer at least. these are producers with deep pockets and egos. if the revamp doesnt work (which history tells us it probably wont) then i think it will be gone by end of summer

#332 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Its booking until June so it'll last until at least then if not slightly longer but they've yet to release a new booking period.

#333 Joysie

Joysie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostJon, on 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Its booking until June so it'll last until at least then if not slightly longer but they've yet to release a new booking period.

Booking periods count for nothing sadly. Ghost was booking through into this year before it was announced it was closing.

Not seen Viva yet myself- am put off by the high ticket prices more than anything else. If they were a bit cheaper or had similar offers to the ones Ghost did on the ATG card then I'd be tempted to go along & see what it's all about.

#334 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

BBC news website have picked up on this too
http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-20947300

#335 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

The weekday capacity seems fine for what is a slow month for most shows but as mentioned earlier, probably not what the producers wanted or hoped for but nothing to suggest a early closure.

#336 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

A rework could be true - Jennifer Saunders was there last week, and you'd think she'd have had enough of it by now.

I booked a 20 ticket last week and was upgraded to row E in the stalls. Very happy at that. The show is actually enjoyable - I did like it - but it's not as good as it should be. My main issue was the quality of the vocals - it's like no one considered how they should be sung in order for them to sound good.

I hope it doesn't close, but the future isn't looking too bright unfortunately.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#337 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

This is a lot of noise over essentially very little, in my mind.

To pick this paragraph from the BBC: "The picture is less rosy at the beginning of the week. There are still 226 tickets on sale for Wednesday 9 January, while there are 208 remaining for Monday 4 February. That means 16% of the seats at London's Piccadilly Theatre will be empty."

It's ridiculous. Presumably those dates were picked in order to establish a point, however saying that they are having a 84% attendance rate on one hand and other sources speculating about an early axe on the other clearly do not tally up.

The musical is currently running with no discounts, at a rate above what the average percentage attendance (not percentage of optimum) of the West End is running at. This, to be honest, is probably not dis-similar to most other openings which go on to last a while.

If 70% is the average attendance across the West End for January with all the discounting that goes on during the month, Viva Forever is doing very well to have 84%.

The fact this originated thanks to the Daily Star surely tells us all we need to know about the credibility of the story.

#338 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Seems like a nice bit of free publicity, in a look everyone we're not sold out you can still get a ticket way.

#339 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

a new major show such as this should have been doing better, yes storys are exageratted but January or not this show was meant to be critic proof (ala mamma mia). the advance sales cant be great otherwise they wouldnt bother revamping the show no matter what critics said

#340 chess

chess

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

a new major show such as this should have been doing better, yes storys are exageratted but January or not this show was meant to be critic proof (ala mamma mia). the advance sales cant be great otherwise they wouldnt bother revamping the show no matter what critics said

Your post gives the impression that Mamma Mia received bad reviews. I can assure that this isn't the case. I have almost all the orginal papers with the reviews from Mamma Mia and they where really good!
Ticketsales of Mamma Mia went through the roof already during previews and after the reviews had appeared. In my country, the Netherlands,  Mamma Mia received als very good reviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users