#341 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 09 January 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

This is a lot of noise over essentially very little, in my mind.

To pick this paragraph from the BBC: "The picture is less rosy at the beginning of the week. There are still 226 tickets on sale for Wednesday 9 January, while there are 208 remaining for Monday 4 February. That means 16% of the seats at London's Piccadilly Theatre will be empty."

It's ridiculous. Presumably those dates were picked in order to establish a point, however saying that they are having a 84% attendance rate on one hand and other sources speculating about an early axe on the other clearly do not tally up.

The musical is currently running with no discounts, at a rate above what the average percentage attendance (not percentage of optimum) of the West End is running at. This, to be honest, is probably not dis-similar to most other openings which go on to last a while.

If 70% is the average attendance across the West End for January with all the discounting that goes on during the month, Viva Forever is doing very well to have 84%.

The fact this originated thanks to the Daily Star surely tells us all we need to know about the credibility of the story.

and my seat for Viva (same row) cost me £20 more than my seat today at an excellent Les Mis - and Viva has a considerably smaller, less experienced, cast  to pay for.....

Not sure how a rework could work either.  It needs some big numbers added, better characterisation, a better story, more Spice Girl,  and possibly  some changes in the leads. Not sure how you can do that in the margins without a major change of focus, book rewrite or  making it too long?

#342 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

They completely reworked Love Never Dies mid run. I know it's not the best example considering it didn't last much longer, but it isn't unknown.

#343 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Does re-working ever help?  Trying to think of a show that was revamped and turned itself around.

#344 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

View Postcat123, on 09 January 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

They completely reworked Love Never Dies mid run. I know it's not the best example considering it didn't last much longer, but it isn't unknown.

Actually it lasted for longer after the re-write than it did before. The difference with Love Never Dies was that they closed it whilst re-working. There's only a certain amount they can do with Viva Forever whilst the cast are still going onstage every night.

#345 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostABowlerHat, on 10 January 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

Actually it lasted for longer after the re-write than it did before. The difference with Love Never Dies was that they closed it whilst re-working. There's only a certain amount they can do with Viva Forever whilst the cast are still going onstage every night.

Most shows which have been rewritten and made major changes closed for a few days to implement the changes but it's strange that Viva isn't cancelling a few performances to implement their changes,

#346 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

the last show that made changes and still survived to have a decent run is sunset, but even then it didnt make money. really with shows you only get one shot at opening

yes i know mm got decent reviews, i guess wwry would be a better example

#347 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostSteve10086, on 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Does re-working ever help?  Trying to think of a show that was revamped and turned itself around.

Mamma Mia was considerably re-worked during previews.

#348 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yes MM was a very different type of show to start with, luckily they went donw the tongue in cheek fun route and it worked.  But reworking in previews isnt the same as reworking once its opened and the reviews and word of mouth are out there

#349 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postfreckles, on 10 January 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Mamma Mia was considerably re-worked during previews.

If it's re-worked in previews then the producers must be able to see what's wrong and know how to correct it - which is what I always thought previews were for.

But I always feel shows that open and then re-work are just carrying out damage limitation and the producers don't really believe things need changing but are now desperate.

#350 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

There were changes during previews for this too though, or it sounded like it from various reports (eg I turn to you not being about Botox later in preview). It would have done better to delay opening, but obviously the producers thought getting all the spice girls in would sell more tickets than having an enjoyable show.

The show needs to be changed to make better use of the talented cast they are underusing and rely less on the inexperienced, unless they recast some people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users