#371 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Posttheatremonkey.com, on 24 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I saw it last night (23rd). "Wannabe" was in at the end, and a bit near the start. Can't comment on the changes as it was the first time I've been, but I thought it was quite entertaining. Badly flawed, but even the worst bits were "so bad they were good" - to quote Simon Cowell, and there were a few nice moments. Given the choice between seeing this, "Rock of Ages" or "Let It Be" again, I'd see this every time.

Given that choice,  I agree even hanging would seem better than drawing or quartering.

#372 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I thougjt some of the comedy parts excelled however the story is all over the place and rushed in many places inorder  to fit the songs. it needs an experienced script/play writer to work with JSaunders to develop it. I think its got enough there to make it work  but in its current format it is knocking on death's door.

#373 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostStage Hand, on 24 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I thougjt some of the comedy parts excelled however the story is all over the place and rushed in many places inorder  to fit the songs. it needs an experienced script/play writer to work with JSaunders to develop it. I think its got enough there to make it work  but in its current format it is knocking on death's door.

I agree for the most part. Whilst the actual story isn't exactly riveting, it's interesting enough - it just needs to be developed more. Personally I'd be very happy for them to cut most of the Camden barge scenes, and have the show set more or less entirely at the TV studio: one of my biggest gripes was that it didn't feel like they were contestants on a TV show - where was the excitement? I don't even remember there being a winner.

However I still think the biggest problem is the delivery of the songs. People know these songs inside out (whether they want to admit to it or not!) and sometimes I died a little bit inside knowing that the songs sounded terrible. I can't help but think that just because they're the written and performed by the Spice Girls, that someone decided no attention was really needed and the actors were to just do the best they could.

For this reason, there's next to no musical standouts. The best song is 'Viva Forever' purely because someone thought about how that song should sound (and failing to let Viva reply with 'Love Thing' is a big mistake!). Stop is good because *finally* they sound good singing together. But for the most part no one harmonizes or think about how to make the vocals sound good - especially in the mess that is Mama/Goodbye.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#374 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I think they really need to tighten up the ending. Its too rushed and feels like, well not an ending at all.

#375 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's not really an ending, is it? KevinUK, you don't remember a winner because there isn't one. Viva stops her big number, does Wannabe instead, end of show. Wannabe looks a mess, with the whole cast getting on the stage to bop along. It's an unholy mess, kind of like watching a drunk family at a wedding. A Stepping Out style flash forward the following year's final with "last year's winners" doing a huge proper production number of it would make more sense. There's a LOT that needs fixing with the show to stem the overwhelmingly negative word of mouth.

#376 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I wonder when it will close.....I hope it is soon.....there is no reason for such a disgrace of a show to be allowed to continue to run in the WE....

A total insult to the senses and intelligence of the theatre going public...and I can only imagine how mind numbing and boring it must be for the cast...I feel sorry and embarrassed for them...

On the other hand, it does not look expensive...and probably they didn't spend that much on it and it can't be that costly to run...so it might be around for a while....shame

I feel sick thinking about when I saw it back in December....possibly the worst commercial venture that has been allowed to hit the WE in the history of theatre....not a single redeeming quality....desperately unfashionable and lacking any sophistication......totally out of place in the theatre world

#377 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

They've started selling days seats for £20 now. I got middle of row K in the stalls for tonight. Got low expectations after seeing the "highlight" clip and reading the reviews but will reserve final judgement until I've seen the show.

#378 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostParsley, on 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I feel sick thinking about when I saw it back in December....possibly the worst commercial venture that has been allowed to hit the WE in the history of theatre....not a single redeeming quality....desperately unfashionable and lacking any sophistication......totally out of place in the theatre world

Did you not see Romeo & Juliet the Musical at the same venue?  Or Which Witch?

#379 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 24 January 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

I agree for the most part. Whilst the actual story isn't exactly riveting, it's interesting enough - it just needs to be developed more. Personally I'd be very happy for them to cut most of the Camden barge scenes, and have the show set more or less entirely at the TV studio: one of my biggest gripes was that it didn't feel like they were contestants on a TV show - where was the excitement? I don't even remember there being a winner.

However I still think the biggest problem is the delivery of the songs. People know these songs inside out (whether they want to admit to it or not!) and sometimes I died a little bit inside knowing that the songs sounded terrible. I can't help but think that just because they're the written and performed by the Spice Girls, that someone decided no attention was really needed and the actors were to just do the best they could.

For this reason, there's next to no musical standouts. The best song is 'Viva Forever' purely because someone thought about how that song should sound (and failing to let Viva reply with 'Love Thing' is a big mistake!). Stop is good because *finally* they sound good singing together. But for the most part no one harmonizes or think about how to make the vocals sound good - especially in the mess that is Mama/Goodbye.

its arguably all dictated by the starting question of whether you want to make a musical about the Spice Girls music sound like the Spice Girls or let a really strong group of actresses loose on it and make it sound even stronger. They seem to have decided to avoid either solution,  and decided, seemingly at stage one, to avoid having the group singing the songs, to avoid experienced younger leads, and, even where there were stronger singers, to have them singing solos. There's obvious issues  putting in 5 tracks where there were more or less only 4 people singing before. and they end up not even using 4. Similarly,  would they want a group of 4 to sound better than the original group of 5 - and the comparisons that would create?   I think you end up being driven by the requirement to make a musical about the Spice Girl's Music,  that doesn't raise any issues about the Spice Girls or sound like them - which is a bit suspect as concepts go. You end up with the songs  neither sounding like the Spice Girls with distinctive individual vocals and harmonies,  or being presented as strongly as the numbers in WWRY or Mamma Mia. The answer was probably to stick more to the idea of the group in the X factor environment, to use the potential for that setting more and to  avoid bringing in other ab fab episodes to confuse things, and  to give the judges , particularly Tamara, and a stronger Sharon and Simon,  more to do. You could also  cast people who could sound more  like the Spice Girls but add a bit more wow factor still. That wouldn't have been difficult - you could easily name  a super WE Spice Girts group of top established  singers, or you could have just found a brilliant cast from among the recent WE/Tour casts of WWRY,  Dorothy finalists, and experienced early twenty year olds. The problem there may have been would they want to do it,  and the cost.

Basically there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a Spice Girls Musical - when it works even Viva shows that. Lots of classic, established and new work has even thinner plots. What you do need though is more wow factor and probably more Spice.

#380 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Basically there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a Spice Girls Musical

Yes there is. They don't have a sufficiently large catalogue of songs to draw from though and even the most die hard fan doesn't rate their third (and final) album. Very few of their songs could be considered memorable or classic (before seeing this, I literally only could recall two of them).

Why they are using the story they are is baffling. It would have been smarter to completely steer clear of any girl group or X Factor comparisons and have a completely unrelated story. Although that could have possibly shown the songs up even further. I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users