813 replies to this topic

#411 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

exactly and unless a show is a massive hit or a long runner then a big booking period extension of say a year is not a good sign, more so its an attempt to claw in some advance. 9 times out of 10 it doesnt work and a few months later the show closes. big extensions arent a good thing.

#412 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

I remember Daddy Cool extended its booking period by six months only to close by its original booking period date. Even Long runners aren't immune as we've seen with both Chicago and Blood Brothers.

#413 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

very true. i have to admit when i saw wickeds extension to april next year i did wonder. unlikely i know

#414 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2066 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 08 February 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Judy Craymer is claiming the show is sold out until June and Jennifer Saunders on record as saying it's no surprise the critics didn't like it, since they're "five old men". The deluded insanity (it's clearly not sold out, anyone looking on the ATG site can see that) and the sheer arrogance (reviews from all quarters, from critics of all ages and both genders were mostly horrific) of this production is just ridiculous.

Yes - here's the quote: http://www.digitalsp...er-critics.html

Denial's not just a river in Egypt baby!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#415 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Producers always do this... Announce more tickets on sale but it's only to give the im

#416 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Impression it's due to demand . Let the actors get other jobs and close it I say.

#417 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostTitan, on 09 February 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

very true. i have to admit when i saw wickeds extension to april next year i did wonder. unlikely i know

That's different though, Wicked's more than proven its popularity and quite often announces extensions like that.  It may not sell out, but it still sells a lot.

Viva Forever is in a completely different situation, and the deluded producers aren't helping.

#418 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think it says a lot when Simon Adkins who is in the show, joked about it at westendfest saying it was 'just about' still running! :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#419 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

The new trailer is brilliant!!

#420 Graham

Graham

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Rather naive of producers to make claims that a show is sold out, when the show's ATG website allows you to see availability for each day, with next week (Half term!) showing as Good availability every day, and no performance sold out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users