• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 07 April 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....d&v=NwOAfM22reU

Ooooh these vocals arent good recorded :P

Its Hannahs voice that sounds out of place with the other 3

Oh dear. Its basically that no one is doing anything much with it. It works in the original because Geri starts it with her distinctive tone and then Melanie C (particularly)  Mel B and Emma take it away with theirs. If you sing it without distinctive vocals it just goes nowhere . I thought they had hopes of getting that  with some of the people they reportedly had in the workshop -  but going for raw, inexperienced vocalists just produces something that sounds like an X factor audition that Simon won't like.

It would work well on stage if you just had Melanie C's track done with half the mpact , and if you made it a big spectacular,  as in
https://www.youtube....h?v=kEK7Bm6A6sE
Or if you had 4 people who sound distinctive as in the original
https://www.youtube....h?v=5JD6ejmlpa8

I think they  are doomed though by their decision to try and avoid having anyone identifiable as individual Spice Girls. As soon as you sing this properly someone has to sing Melanie C's distinctive bits. - as soon as you do that,  you identify one of the girls as her - and it doesn't take long then  to identify them all and identify who is not there at all. Basically,  you have a musical where you have Spice Girls songs that don't, and can't, sound like the Spice Girls - which doesn't strike me as one of the smarter ideas in Musical Theatre history.

#602 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

The following are listed as main characters on the new wikipedia page, but isnt it more of an ensemble peice??

• Viva - Hannah John-Kamen
  • Lauren - Sally Ann Triplett
  • Suzi - Lucy Montgomery
  • Simone - Sally Dexter
  • Luce - Siobhan Athwal
  • Diamond - Lucy Phelps
  • Holly - Dominique Provost-Chalkey

#603 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ensemble in the sense that they're all equally responsible for what a mess it is?

#604 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Haha?

#605 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 09 April 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

The following are listed as main characters on the new wikipedia page, but isnt it more of an ensemble peice??

• Viva - Hannah John-Kamen
  • Lauren - Sally Ann Triplett
  • Suzi - Lucy Montgomery
  • Simone - Sally Dexter
  • Luce - Siobhan Athwal
  • Diamond - Lucy Phelps
  • Holly - Dominique Provost-Chalkey

Sort of makes sense. One of the problems is that the judges have nothing much to do - although I thought Tamara was the most watchable person in the whole thing. The boyfriends  seem to appear from and vanish to nowhere. You couldn't really claim the other girls in the band were not that important though - it gives the game, or lack of it,  away.

On the other hand,  you could argue that there's not much for anyone to do and every role is underwritten or underused  or underplayed  or misconceived - so, as you imply, they don't stand out as much as they might and some ensemble players might steal the attention. Its also a cast with a lot of understudies and swings for the band  lurking elsewhere  -  who are as, if not more,  experienced and capable - which makes the differences even less obvious?

#606 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I agree that the star of the show is Tamara, she steals the show

#607 Pippin

Pippin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Had the misfortune of seeing this the other weeks and yikes it is a shocker in spite of a very impressive cast. But so predictable and tedious. makes WWRY seem practically Chekovian. A shame as I was quite looking forward to it.

#608 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Im going there again two weeks tomorrow. I wanna see how it differs from January

#609 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Music video made...

http://www.youtube.c...v=V8HNZcNy_SM#!

#610 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I thought he was gonna get hit by that bus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users