• 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

wh... I just... I just donn't... Ok...
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#614 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Lol thats the funniest most ridiculous thing ever

Looks like any random website will now have their own 'awards'. Hardly something to take seriously

#615 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Oh im not taking it seriously, I just find it funny

#616 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Show pairs are extending their 2for 1 offer on Viva "due to popular demand". That's the funniest thing I've seen this week - selling cheap theatre tickets due to popular demand

#617 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Could someone please close this car crash of a show!

#618 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Well, you've got the name to do it :)

#619 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Saw this last night. I will do my best not to be too hysterical about it, and what follows is just my take on it, not what is gospel...

Some parts of it I enjoyed; mainly the large production numbers of the bigger hits - aside from the ridiculous blow up things in Spice Up Your Life. Choreography was largely very tight too, it seemed. The number Viva Forever was beautifully rendered by Ben Cura too, I adored that arrangement. The pit sounded phenomenal throughout, so hats off to the MD and his team; the sound quality was brilliant and so loud as well; I seem to remember thinking the same coming away from Ghost.

Great performances few and far between. Notably from Hannah as Viva; adored her voice, and loved Kirstie Skivington who was on as Diamond, very well suited. In addition, Hatty Preston's Minty was great, with impeccable timing, but the hash-tag thing began to grate on me towards the end. Sally Ann Triplett and Simon Adkins did solid jobs too, thought they were a bit under-used but can of course see why the focus is largely on the four girls.

Now the book. It's just dreadful. Coarse joke after ridiculous near-profanity after coarse joke after another (etc). Some got laughs, some certainly didn't. I thought Act 1 held up fairly well but about 15 minutes into Act 2 the whole thing just falls apart. It was the first time I've ever felt uncomfortable in a West End theatre. Seated high up in the (near full) Upper Circle, there just reached a point where everyone was looking at each other as if to say, 'what on earth are we witnessing here?'. Cue heads in hands and much muttering and laughing throughout the sparsely thin dialogue that made up the rest of the show. 2 Become 1 is a cringe-fest. Agree with previous posters on the abrupt ending but was nice to see the girls back together one last time. And the blasting mega-mix at the end is all very well but is surely an effort to try and get people to dance away the previous 2 hours' troubles!

I am not going to slag off the actors because I appreciate they all do the best job the can with the material given. But the characters of Suzi, Johnny, Simone, Karen, Lance and to a certain extent, Mitch, I just found so bland and irritating. They added nothing to the story really, and Simone in particular has far too much stage time. The over-arching concept itself is not a bad one at all but it could have been executed so much better. But safe to say, with such a talented cast, I left the theatre disappointed for them: that despite what I am sure is a mammoth effort each night, the end product is largely forgettable.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#620 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

'dannyboyjohnson' timestamp='1365792553' post='261834'
http://www.westendfr...oreverWins.html
[/quote

This was a February poll-the present West End Frame poll is for best performed song in a musical and there are some excellent ones up there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users