• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postbickypeg, on 19 April 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

'dannyboyjohnson' timestamp='1365792553' post='261834'
http://www.westendfr...oreverWins.html
[/quote

This was a February poll-the present West End Frame poll is for best performed song in a musical and there are some excellent ones up there.
None for viva?! Shock horror...

#622 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Just saw it tonight. Got £10 tickets in the upper circle (reduced from £45). Upon arriving in the theatre, our seats were upgraded to row C in the royal circle - premium seats worth £85 each (the upper circle was closed). Usually I love kitsch theatre - the majority of things I see which were trashed by critics I've *loved* but this... I was actually happy at the end. Genuinely the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

Just seemed extremely lazy. Terrible story, the members of the girl group were all pretty bad actors - extremely over the top. It reminded me of drama class in school. The humour was pretty bad at times, but there were some genuine funny moments. It should just close and make way for something better. I can't help but feel they took the Spice Girls name just for a quick cash in rather than making a good quality show.

There was one redeeming feature though; Sally Dexter. She was amazing and stole every single scene she was in.

AND: in the "Turn phones off" speech, they actually ENCOURAGED people to use their phone to log into twitter and post about the show DURING THE SHOW?!?!?!?!?!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#623 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

I saw this on Friday night, on comps, to see the "exciting changes" that this "dynamic show" had undergone. Friday night, which should be packed to the rafters. Neither the stalls nor the dress were full, the upper was closed. It is clearly doing absolutely no business.

As for the changes, they have actually made the show worse. The newly installed opening number is a mess. Poorly staged and choreographed, it's just an absolute shambles. As my friend put it "not one person on that stage is convinced". Same goes for Lady Is A Vamp and the new dance routine they've put into Who Do You Think You Are?. All such an atrocious mish mash. All the dialogue leading into Say You'll Be There has been removed, making the song even more incongruous than it was previously. I Turn To You is gone, replaced by about the 1100th reprise of Headlines of the evening.

But then there's the new ending. Or rather, the lack of one. Previously, the ending wasn't exactly the stuff of genius, but at least it was obviously an ending and there was a lights down moment before the bows began. Now, I wasn't even sure if it was over or not, then they started bowing, seemingly in mid-song. Audience reaction to any of the "funny" lines was muted to non-existent. It's staggering that cancer and bulimia jokes have been kept in. And references to the Spice Girls have been added. It's beyond appalling now. It is an embarrassment.

#624 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Oh dear, I was thinking about a return visit to see the changes (I saw it in January and almost left in the interval). But from what I'm reading on here it really sounds like they've managed to make the show even worse. I'll probably be giving it a miss. Don't think I can sit through this again if it hasn't improved a lot.

#625 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Oh yes... the ending... the last thing that was said was "Simone has changed. Shes made us a deal we couldn't refuse". Then, they start singing again and all of a sudden, LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SONG, the ensemble takes their bows. There was no closure at all to the show.

The best part was though, a ensemble member really tried to get people to stand up and clap along... literally BEGGING and literally 2 people in the entire auditorium got up, haha.

Just really awful... if my tickets were anymore than the £10 I paid, I'd have felt cheated. I have this feeling it's going to run for a few more months though. They're gonna keep it going until Summer, I can just see it. On the bright side, the Viva Forever story makes Mamma Mia look like a masterpiece.... maybe that was the plan all along :P
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#626 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

The "begging" happened on the night I saw it.  Judy Crapmer shouldn't boast about standing ovations when the cast have to beg for them!!!

#627 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Seeing this tonight for free and these last few posts make me worry we still overpaid (with our "valuable" time, that is...). Oh well, maybe having really low expectations means it'll at least be better than I assume it to be?

#628 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 23 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Seeing this tonight for free and these last few posts make me worry we still overpaid (with our "valuable" time, that is...). Oh well, maybe having really low expectations means it'll at least be better than I assume it to be?

Afraid not. I went on Friday with the lowest of expectations and couldn't even enjoy it in a so-bad-its-good way. Along with the multiple problems people have already highlighted, I was incredibly bored.

#629 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

You really know how to sell a show... :P

#630 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 23 April 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I saw this on Friday night, on comps, to see the "exciting changes" that this "dynamic show" had undergone. Friday night, which should be packed to the rafters. Neither the stalls nor the dress were full, the upper was closed. It is clearly doing absolutely no business.

As for the changes, they have actually made the show worse. The newly installed opening number is a mess. Poorly staged and choreographed, it's just an absolute shambles. As my friend put it "not one person on that stage is convinced". Same goes for Lady Is A Vamp and the new dance routine they've put into Who Do You Think You Are?. All such an atrocious mish mash. All the dialogue leading into Say You'll Be There has been removed, making the song even more incongruous than it was previously. I Turn To You is gone, replaced by about the 1100th reprise of Headlines of the evening.

But then there's the new ending. Or rather, the lack of one. Previously, the ending wasn't exactly the stuff of genius, but at least it was obviously an ending and there was a lights down moment before the bows began. Now, I wasn't even sure if it was over or not, then they started bowing, seemingly in mid-song. Audience reaction to any of the "funny" lines was muted to non-existent. It's staggering that cancer and bulimia jokes have been kept in. And references to the Spice Girls have been added. It's beyond appalling now. It is an embarrassment.

Replacing I Turn To You with Headlines looks like evolution in reverse. The show probably needed more of the strong post Spice Girls solo number ones - which lend themselves to being inserted into any story - not more of the stuff that most SG's fans have forgotten or would like to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users