#631 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 12 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Viva getting 43% in a vote for best jukebox musical, and Thriller getting 42% -  ahead of WWRY, Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia on zilch -  I  am afraid tells us a lot more about who voted than anything else. People may have misread the question as worst jukebox musical?

#632 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Postdjp, on 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Viva getting 43% in a vote for best jukebox musical, and Thriller getting 42% -  ahead of WWRY, Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia on zilch -  I  am afraid tells us a lot more about who voted than anything else. People may have misread the question as worst jukebox musical?

The majority of articles on the site have 0 comments, so there  was probably only a few tens of people who voted, as apposed to hundreds of thousands. The same site give Viva Forever 4/5 stars o_O!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#633 I Like West End

I Like West End

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Apparently a performance was cancelled mid-show, just before the interval or something? Anyway the producers are refusing refunds, does anyone know the details?

#634 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Tonight's performance is it ??

#635 I Like West End

I Like West End

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

no I think it was last week?

#636 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 23 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Seeing this tonight for free and these last few posts make me worry we still overpaid (with our "valuable" time, that is...). Oh well, maybe having really low expectations means it'll at least be better than I assume it to be?

*I'm looking forward to your review!*
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#637 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

"AND: in the "Turn phones off" speech, they actually ENCOURAGED people to use their phone to log into twitter and post about the show DURING THE SHOW?!?!?!?!?! "

I hate this!

#638 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostCoggit, on 23 April 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

*I'm looking forward to your review!*

You guys really could've warned me that this show is bad... :P

This show was just absolutely dire. I really should've known better after reading the reviews on here but I still held out the hope that my incredibly low expectations meant I could be nothing but pleasantly surprised in the end. Boy was I wrong.

The book is rubbish and filled with tasteless and misjudged jokes (repeatedly making fun of cancer patients and critising the body images of the size 6/8 actresses on stage, really?!?), and the performances were amateuristic at best with terrible acting skills on display and even worse singing voices.

The story was so bad anyway they really should've just sung one Spice Girl hit after another to get the audience in the spirit instead of singing the songs only briefly or rearranged (with exception of "Wannabe", "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Spice Up Your Life" which are of course therefor repeated again at the end of the show).

The only bit I liked was the re-arranged version of "Viva Forever", which was now acoustic and sung by a male voice (partly in Spanish too) but it was ruined as soon as the character of Viva joined in as she arguably had the worst voice of the lot on stage. I was mostly bored throughout the performance and it was painfully obvious that the four lead girls were as well.

I can only be grateful that our tickets were comps as I do not want to throw a single pound at this awful production.

#639 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

critising the body images of the size 6/8 actresses on stage, really?!?),

They've actually cut the line which refers to Sally Dexter having a bum big enough to fill all 6 lanes of a motorway. They have still kept in the line referring to her as "a sagging bag of flesh" though. Charming.

#640 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostI Like West End, on 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Apparently a performance was cancelled mid-show, just before the interval or something? Anyway the producers are refusing refunds, does anyone know the details?

Power cut. Customers are being offered exchanges but not refunds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users