#651 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 24 April 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Exactly Coggit. Not everyone has the time or the proximity to go to the theatre in London at will. I don't see much theatre these days purely because I work in it, and so the 1 day off a week I get is very important.

At a guess, I'd say they aren't doing refunds as most people will have seen enough to know not to bother.

Its pretty standard elsewhere - tennis matches used to have a rule that  if play occurred, , the ball crossed the net once, you didn't get a refund even if the play was rained off all the rest of the day.

#652 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

That YouTube clip are the current cast yes!?

Surely the producer would be pissed off that they are pretty much saying its rubbish!!!

Get rid of this show and please put something in that is a show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#653 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostShowstopper, on 25 April 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

That YouTube clip are the current cast yes!?

Surely the producer would be pissed off that they are pretty much saying its rubbish!!!

Get rid of this show and please put something in that is a show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes me miss Grease which looked cheap. but had some decent songs and played an important role giving some very good people an early chance to have a decent singing role to build a career on. Or Ghost, which provided some of the best songs, best leads,  and acting opportunities around. Or Chicago, which could be constantly renewed when, and if, they  cast  good enough actresses  who could act Roxie and Velma differently. Or they  could  move in one of the  touring or regional musicals that  are better, and better cast than much of whats in London at the moment -  like 9 to 5, Piaf,  or, if it fits anywhere, Starlight. It seems to be the season for bad, novel, or lazy formulaic,  ideas,  and throwing on  something  cheaper than a full scale musical, - and sticking with it......

#654 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Well hairspray is coming back into town so least there's some fun to look forward to

#655 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostCoggit, on 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I'm sure your tune would quickly change if you were on holiday and decided to go to the theatre only for the show to stop mid-performance and you weren't able to get to another performance before leaving.

It is not the company's fault if you can't attend another performance, just like it's not their fault that the power went out. Tickets are non refundable and people buy tickets knowing this. They offered exchanges and I think that is sufficient enough for the circumstances. Just my opinion though :)

I wish the show had been pulled halfway through when I went to see it, would have saved me an hour that I'll never get back ;)

#656 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sorry I disagree, its part of running a business. It may not be their fault, but its not the customers problem either, so you as the seller have to suck it up and refund.  Your customers are not getting what they are paying for.  If you are in the cinema and only see half a movie, are you really just going to go 'oh well, not their fault' or are you going to ask for a refund.  Same with concerts

Tickets are non refundable if you are getting what you paid for, here, they are not getting what they paid for therefore the producers are not holding up to their end of the contract.

As I say, ive had similar things happen at shows before and I got a refund if I wasnt able to rebook (e,g show being sold out or not able to attend a later date)

#657 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

View Poststrallenfan, on 27 April 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

It is not the company's fault if you can't attend another performance, just like it's not their fault that the power went out.

The Office of Fair Trading's opinion is that although neither party is at fault in situations like this the provider of the entertainment is in a far stronger position when it comes to getting insurance against disruption and when bearing the cost of disruption, and so it's considered unfair that the consumer should have to bear the cost. In this context "unfair" carries legal weight.

Tickets are non refundable and people buy tickets knowing this.

When they say that tickets are non-refundable they mean that once a contract exists the consumer can't unilaterally decide to back out of the contract without loss. It doesn't apply when the provider fails to uphold their end of the contract. In the case of a substantial material variation to the provided entertainment - and I would suggest that a court would find that not providing the second half of a story qualifies as a substantial material variation - then the provider has failed to uphold the contract. That would void the contract and make an offer of a refund mandatory.

I don't know if any court has already set a precedent for this. I suspect not, or productions wouldn't be trying it on. It would be interesting to see what happens if someone does decide to take it to court. The law doesn't allow excessively unbalanced contracts to stand, and a contract that effectively says "if you walk out half way through we keep your money and if we walk out half way through we keep your money" doesn't appear to be all that balanced.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#658 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

I suspect as its Viva and was probably not sold out there are small numbers involved.  If this happened at Book of Mormon, and they tried to refuse refunds, the production would end up on Watchdog

#659 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Could viva be going to the savoy?

#660 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Judy must be desperate for the show to continue to justify a transfer, I can't see it lasting TBH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users