813 replies to this topic

#681 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I think the casting was as much a problem as the book and vocal arrangements. Often its a case that a bad show is lifted by a great cast but the leads in this one were poor and the more talented cast members underused.

#682 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Agreed. I'm sorry to say but I didn't think the cast weren't anything to write home about in the show either. It could be that they were just as bored of it as I was when I saw it two weeks ago but the acting and singing skills on display were just as poor as the book and the production as whole.

#683 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

yes i agree the leads were very poor, i never said the leads were good, but in general the cast was very talented and really did there best with what they had!

#684 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

The only half decent performances imo were from Sally Dexter and Sally A T but they had dreadful material to work with. The 4 girls were totally rubbish especially the lead girl.
Still it's very sad that so many people have lost their jobs.. Jennifer S and Judy C should never have let the show open with that script, and how foolish to have such a short preview period... At least with a month or so of previews , pretty major changes can be achieved. It smacks of total arrogance to me.

#685 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

A statement from Judy Cramer: "It is with a heavy heart that I've had to make this very difficult decision to post closing notice for VIVA FOREVER! atThe Piccadilly Theatre for 29 June, 2013, an original show which is blessed with the most brilliant cast currently on the West End Stage. Despite the wonderful audiences, extremely positive feedback and the standing ovation at every performance from an audience of families and friends all enjoying a great night out, we just can't make it work. I am extremely proud of everyone involved in this production. VIVA FOREVER! may be taking it's leave for now in the West End but the legacy of Spice Girls will never fade!".

They only got standing ovations because the cast literally begged for them...

I actually didn't think the actress playing Viva was bad. Sally Dexter stole the show though, but the rest of them were pretty abysmal though.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#686 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

we just can't make it work

No kidding. Admitting that must have hurt.

#687 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 May 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Big venue though. Maybe baz might have something tomorrow. I guess to be closing they must have something else lined up

Thought the savoy comment was unlikely and illogical

Reliable poster on bwayworld has said newsies is an option for autumn

Newsies would be perfect for the Piccadilly but I think the Pajama Game could do a limited run before that although I think it needs a playhouse but not many are free at the moment.

#688 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Sadly, it looks like it's going to be something tatty and worthless. Shame.

#689 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Judy Crapmer, according to quote in tonight's Evening Standard:

“These days you have to be fearless to produce a new musical, something that is not a revival, a film or a tribute show, but something really original.”

Yes, using Spice Girls songs is REALLY "original".  How fearless you are!

#690 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

and also the woman who produced Mamma Mia (which I love by the way)

She is hardly the queen of original theatre.  Ive lost a lot of respect for her over this, some of the stuff she comes out with. I know its an attempt at good PR, but its so off the mark no one buys it.  I wonder if Mamma Mia was more luck than judgement now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users