#691 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 May 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

and also the woman who produced Mamma Mia (which I love by the way)

She is hardly the queen of original theatre.  Ive lost a lot of respect for her over this, some of the stuff she comes out with. I know its an attempt at good PR, but its so off the mark no one buys it.  I wonder if Mamma Mia was more luck than judgement now

Mamma Mia had a great book and creative team and it came at the right time, having Benny and Bjorn onboard helped as well due to their experiences with Chess and Kristina, I think Judy assumed lightning would strike twice with Viva Forever which it didn't.  

#692 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Also, didn't mamma Mia have big problems at the start of previews? How much of fixing that was anything to do with her?

Also the fact that mamma Mia was fixed in previews makes it stranger still that the viva previews were short!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#693 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yes mamma mia was done as much more of a serious piece to begin with instead of the tongue in cheek/cheesy fun it is now

#694 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I hate hearing of shows closing in such circumstances, I feel sorry for the cast and creatives who have clearly been working hard on the show.

#695 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 May 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

I hate hearing of shows closing in such circumstances, I feel sorry for the cast and creatives who have clearly been working hard on the show.

I would disagree completely with the creatives. Viva Forever is the biggest disgrace that has been on the West End stage in years. Judy Cramer and the creative team went out to produce a cheap cash-in on the popularity of a band. Quite frankly, they are robbing people. They then tried dirty tactics; lying about the position of the show (sold out every night, standing ovations from the audience every night, great feedback, extending the booking period further to give the impression they were doing well) to attempt to sell tickets. They should all be ashamed of themselves and I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who forked out £85 for the premium seats.

I do however feel bad for the cast though.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#696 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I just hate to see anyone lose their jobs.

#697 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostJon, on 02 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Mamma Mia had a great book and creative team and it came at the right time, having Benny and Bjorn onboard helped as well due to their experiences with Chess and Kristina, I think Judy assumed lightning would strike twice with Viva Forever which it didn't.  

Mamma, like WWRY,  though also has big songs which it uses in a  recognisable form to their original one, to  their full potential. Viva started with an intent not to replicate the original, or alter it by changing the characters around geographically  ,  or to make the numbers as big as possible. I think the problem is there from the early days of the concept.

#698 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostShowstopper, on 02 May 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

9-5 is the cheapest production ATG have produced in years... Lets see!!' Jersey boys cod transfer

But compared to a lot of whats in town, its good, its got a top quality cast even without Bonnie, and it hgets a good strong audience response - or at least it did teh twice I have seen it so far.

#699 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 02 May 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Judy Crapmer, according to quote in tonight's Evening Standard:

“These days you have to be fearless to produce a new musical, something that is not a revival, a film or a tribute show, but something really original.”

I think "talented" is the word she was aiming for.

To me the problem with most jukebox musicals is that they have the most pitifully dreadful books, seemingly on the assumption that the music will do all the work and all that's needed to turn a catalogue into a musical is to wrap it up with a bit of string. The only jukebox musicals I've really liked are those where a strong book (and a tried and tested one rather than an original one) was used to tie the music together. If the story is strong enough that it would be able to stand on its own without the added popularity of the music then the show deserves to survive. If the only purpose of the story is to allow you to call it a musical instead of a tribute band then it would be better not to bother.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#700 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 02 May 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I think "talented" is the word she was aiming for.

To me the problem with most jukebox musicals is that they have the most pitifully dreadful books, seemingly on the assumption that the music will do all the work and all that's needed to turn a catalogue into a musical is to wrap it up with a bit of string. The only jukebox musicals I've really liked are those where a strong book (and a tried and tested one rather than an original one) was used to tie the music together. If the story is strong enough that it would be able to stand on its own without the added popularity of the music then the show deserves to survive. If the only purpose of the story is to allow you to call it a musical instead of a tribute band then it would be better not to bother.

My favourite jukebox musicals have been Our House and Priscilla, the latter could have had orginal songs but given the nature of the story, it did make sense for them to use pop songs.

The term Jukebox musical is a loose term because shows with existing songs like Jersey Boys are more biographies while others like Crazy for You and 42nd Street use songs from the composers catalogues but I would not consider them jukebox musicals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users