#701 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I just hate to see anyone lose their jobs.

But its a chance for some currently out of work to get back into a show with whatever is next.

#702 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Postjaqs, on 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

But its a chance for some currently out of work to get back into a show with whatever is next.

It might be - or it may be another play employing 4 people and a dog, or another US imported star, or another Strictly spin off . or yet another one aimed at people   who want to relive listening  to music in the fifties and sixties.

#703 woodpusher

woodpusher

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:SOLT/BECTU book, beer, plywood and ropes

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I just hate to see anyone lose their jobs.
Absolutely.  All those poor FOH, Sound, LX, SM s, Wigs, Wardrobe, Limes,Crew/Flies. And some turns.

#704 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Brace yourselves... Dirty Dancing is going in as a filler..

#705 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

It must have done well in it's quite long London run previously to merit a return. Of course it does appeal to the women again like the Full Monty, Ghost etc.

#706 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

Lol you could say that. Dirty dancing was one of the biggest hits londons had in recent years.

#707 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

View Postjaqs, on 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

And what people tend to forget is that opening a show creates more employment than keeping one going because there are many jobs that are only needed while getting the show up and running in the first place. If all shows were long-runners and never closed it would be good news for the people involved in the day to day running of the theatre but everyone else would be permanently out of work.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#708 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Dirty dancing was one of the biggest hits londons had in recent years

Maybe so, but by the time it closed it was really struggling and it's been touring, so it doesn't really have much potential audience left, does it? Particularly when the word of mouth wasn't overly stellar. On a similar note, the return of The Ladykilers is baffling to me. Maybe ATG thought if they shoved some bit of tat that appeals to the hen party crowds in, they could transfer some existing bookings.

#709 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 May 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

It must have done well in it's quite long London run previously to merit a return. Of course it does appeal to the women again like the Full Monty, Ghost etc.

None of those shows appeal to me and I have no desire to see any of them. Yes I'm a woman too :rolleyes:

#710 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

It is a generalisation to say all women would see it (its like saying all gay men want to see priscilla) but the reality for Dirty Dancing is a huge majority of the audience is women.

Its a given that towards the end of the run it did less well (otherwise it wouldnt have closed) and the same can be said for all shows that close and return. DD is a huge brand name, and word of mouth on the original London run was good (amongst its core audience) and although the tour has come under some criticism, it still hasnt hurt it out on the road where its done amazing business and is returning to many venues. There will be no set up costs as such so it can come in and as long as it meets its running costs it should do fine, even at discount. Its the type of show that should bring in good bar revenue for atg and help fill a theatre over the summer tourist season and gain some business from hen party groups etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users