813 replies to this topic

#761 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am really gutted this is closing to be honest, it was a fun show, maybe not the best, but it was fun.

#762 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

From that article it sounds like she got too involved. She seems to have approached it like she did Mamma Mia - full of passion and involved in the creation of the book. Had she taken a step back she might have been able to see the faults in the script and had them put right ( I can't imagine anyone telling Jennifer Saunders that her work needed changing though!)

People say the Spices didn't have a large enough catalogue for such a show, but I still disagree with that: yes they only had 3 albums, but they sold 75 million copies - who would see this musical without having heard their album tracks?

I also think that the concept of the book was a great one - a good TV talent show is topical and allows for parody. But the TV show was central yet secondary all at once that ultimately it falls flat.

I also stand by my earlier comments - no one in the cast knows how to sing the Spice Girls' songs.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#763 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Could this still go on UK tour? I dunno if the staging of it would be able to tour, they would have to construct the stage entirely new

#764 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I can't imagine they would use this set if it were to tour - but yes, it plausibly could tour after being redesigned.

#765 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I can only see them touring this really cheaply, with some stunt soap star casting! They can't really risk any more money on this after losing over 5000000!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#766 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

this is going to be going on tour and it'll be scaled down a lot, they're reworking lots of the script etc but the eventual goal is to tour it around the UK, so it won't be the last we see. i'm still waiting for a SPICE GIRLS musical based on.... the spice girls!

#767 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Im not sure that would be any more successful, their story isnt that interesting really.

#768 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postharveyjnr, on 25 May 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

this is going to be going on tour and it'll be scaled down a lot, they're reworking lots of the script etc but the eventual goal is to tour it around the UK, so it won't be the last we see. i'm still waiting for a SPICE GIRLS musical based on.... the spice girls!

I wouldn't want to see that. Other people playing the Girls wouldn't work. I know there are shows like that for other artists but still I couldn't see a show where I know the originals so well. Paying to see others play them would just feel odd.

#769 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Before i get laughed at etc on here im only wondering this, im not saying it would of ever happened but...

If this was successful and nominated for Olivier awards, how would they determine which of the cast could be considered Best Actor/Best Actress/Best Supporting, as it was such an emsemble piece?

#770 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

My guess is Viva would have been pushed as a lead, with her mother as Supporting Actress.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users