813 replies to this topic

#771 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

The problem was a story that was 8 years out of date. Peter Kay had already parodied everything about X Factor type shows years before. There were no new jokes and no new insights to add. It was incredibly preachy in parts... not-so-subtle blasting the audience with what we are supposed to think about fame and fortune. It had no spirit of the Spice Girls... I didn't see any evidence of girl power. No characters were sympathetic - except perhaps Minty (probably my favourite, and even her twitter jokes were a little dated).

Musically, I was cross with the way a lot of the songs weren't performed to their potential. They were cut short, interrupted by dialogue, turned into a joke. If you came to see/hear the Spice Girls, you were disappointed. I'm sorry, but the girls playing Eternity weren't talented enough to carry this show. Not vocally and they didn't command the stage. I don't want to hear poor renditions of Spice Girls songs when I've paid so much for a ticket. They also felt empty, sung as solos, and I don't understand why the ensemble weren't more involved to harmonise or add more impact to songs.

Judy and Jennifer can blame the reviews all they want, but if ordinary people/SG fans loved it, they'd have kept it open - but we hated it too.

So unbelievably disappointed by this!! I was so excited.

#772 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

The changes have definatly made it better though, it was so better the second time i saw it than the first

#773 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 26 May 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

My guess is Viva would have been pushed as a lead, with her mother as Supporting Actress.

To be fair they probably deserve the awards for making the book look even vaguely plausible!

#774 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

See i woulda put Viva, Lauren and Simone as lead females. I dont think any of the males can really be considered leads to be honest

#775 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 27 May 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

I dont think any of the males can really be considered leads to be honest

As if the Spices would have allowed it :P
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#776 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 27 May 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

As if the Spices would have allowed it :P

Haha this is true!!

#777 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Haven't seen this and after most of what I've read not sure I'm going to make a trip just to see this before it closes, though still intrigued just to see for myself

#778 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postsam22, on 28 May 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Haven't seen this and after most of what I've read not sure I'm going to make a trip just to see this before it closes, though still intrigued just to see for myself

See it. It's not a masterpiece but if you know that it's not amazing, I think you'll still find something enjoyable in it. It's not the train wreck some would have you believe. I've seen a lot worse. It helps a bit if you like and 'get' Jennifer Saunders humour.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#779 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well this is it, one month, just 33 performances of Viva Forever! left on the West End!

"...it's time to say goodbye"

#780 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 01 June 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Well this is it, one month, just 33 performances of Viva Forever! left on the West End!

"...it's time to say goodbye"

K bye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users