37 replies to this topic

#31 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

I wasn't overly keen, to be honest. Agree it transfers well to the African setting, and the set is impressive- a decaying stadium, with Caesar looming. However it was rather shouty, and the African accents did make it hard to follow and understand. And long, too. I can't see why it's slowed down so much since Stratford, even with the added interval.

#32 SaucyBarbara

SaucyBarbara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Doran's interview in The Sunday Times refers to the interval -

We are sitting drinking tea in a funny little Edwardian baroque room in the Noël Coward Theatre, where his all-black production of Julius Caesar is playing. It’s a great show, but I remark that something is not quite right. “It’s the interval,” he says. “It’s a broken-backed play that works better without the interval.”
He’s right, of course, but nothing can be done about it at the Coward. Some commercial theatres charge companies an extra £1,000 if they don’t have an interval to cover the loss they make on unsold drinks.

#33 Chewing the Scenery

Chewing the Scenery

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I've just reviewed this from last night at the Bradford Alhambra;

Review: Julius Caesar, Bradford Alhambra, 25/09/2012 http://wp.me/p1mzMt-j5

I gave it four stars.

#34 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 02 July 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

It takes approximately 10 years to see the complete canon if you just cover London and Stratford and just see "major" productions rather than fringe.

The stuff towards the bottom of this figure (which reflects the RSC's performances in Stratford venues since 1950) are the plays you should snap up when they come around, as you might have to wait another ten years.   I was surprised at how rarely All's Well is performed.

Posted Image

#35 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Fascinating. Taming of the Shrew could do with dropping down the chart in my opinion and the Henry IVs should go up. All's Well got a bad reputation, difficult. It isn't so warm hearted as say, Much Ado, but I reckon Twelfth Night is very nasty with the Sir Topaz stuff.

#36 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I loved how the National did All's Well a while back....she gets her man but hey at the very end she is thinking what we are thinking ....why the hell would she want him! And the shoes....the shoes.... :lol:

#37 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, what is it about shoes these days? I spend my time gazing at the actresses's feet, wondering where they got em and how they walk on em.

#38 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostLynette, on 26 September 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Yeah, what is it about shoes these days? I spend my time gazing at the actresses's feet, wondering where they got em and how they walk on em.
Master and Margarita...had to be seen to be believed!And the shoes were the only thing she wore!!!!

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users