31 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

If my brother is to be believed, no school teacher could possibly afford WE prices (unless they can trap the sixth form into an outing :lol:)

#12 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Anyone seen this yet?
Are/ will they be doing day seats?
Thanks.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

No dayseats or stand-bys according to the box office, who I emailed a couple of days ago.

#14 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I looked into this recently when I was searching for something to do on a particular day, and it's ludicrously expensive. I think I'm now at a stage where the WE is completely beyond what I'm prepared to pay unless it seriously discounts - even some of the offers you see are just mad.

#15 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

I saw it a couple of days ago and thought it was deeply touching. It's not experimental but it's not a middling experience either.

#16 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

I saw it last week, would echo thoughts above. Very well played out.

In other news - I have a ticket going spare for Wednesday 6th (i.e. I can't go), it's one of the £47 tickets for the back of the stalls - would anyone like to grab it off me for, say, £35? Will post in the "Ticket Exchange" section in a moment.

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

5* from Messrs Billington and Spencer.

#18 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 January 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

5* from Messrs Billington and Spencer.

Funny.  My Billington review has four stars!

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

It was 5* at 8am this morning, but it seems to have been down-graded...

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Saw this yesterday from the front row- excellent view, though it should be for £60. And you need to be close for this one. I'd say it was worth it though, for this is a v strong production of what is a highly enjoyable, yet hugely affecting play. Rowan Atkinson manages to pretty much shake off Mr Bean despite the character of St John Quartermaine being not all too different; a pathetic bachelor, but with a warm heart who always means well. Oh, and in an old suit and tie. Occasionally Bean crept in when it came to monosyllabic lines: "what?" being an example. But really it's a beautifully judged performance, making the ending all the more tragic, even though it's something so insignificant in general terms.

But it's by no means Atkinson's show. The whole cast are as strong as he is and because of Gray's writing and the depth of the performances, these characters have been fully developed. Will Keen is outstanding as the part-time (though workaholic) teacher who is clearly the outsider in the staff room. He's a social failure, struggling to make do in life. This job is his life line, whereas for St John, this job is his home, his family. Felicity Montagu charts a woman's breakdown, and the filtration of private life into work life brilliantly, and Louise Ford brings a fresh, youthfulness - a different generation to the rest of the staff - in a highly detailed performance. And Malcom Sinclair, Conleth Hill and Matthew Cottle are all as good, if not better, than usual.

But though I make it sound like 2 1/2 hours of misery, it's not. Gray's script is incredibly witty, and sets up some great - almost farcical at times - situations. But here's my only qualm with the play. We get these plot points, but we never find out how they're resolved. The curtain falls, and rises again and we're 10 months later. Gray keeps you hanging as to what will happen, but he never drops you, which gets a bit aggravating. But I think the play should be taken more as an observation on life, a study of characters. And in that sense, this could hardly be bettered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users