#31 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostBeth, on 22 September 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I just phoned the box office, and they said they were standing, with a bar in front to lean against, and a good view.  I'm tempted...  If I give up by the interval, at least it's only a fiver!
Fancy coming with me on 17th Nov? I have just bought 4 tickets, standing! 2 pairs. Matinee....
Pharaoh number 2? Peggs?

#32 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postdude-1981, on 21 September 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

It's a kind of arrogance among arty types to think we want 3 hour shows after a day at work and maybe an early start tomorrow on a weeknight as well.  Last 4 shows I've seen in a row were around 3 hours (Lear, 3 Sisters, Hedda & this).
Is this intended to be humorous? Should Shakespeare, Chekhov and Ibsen have had 21st century drones in mind when constructing their plays? Your problem arises because you go so frequently to the theatre. It doesn't much bother more occasional attenders.

#33 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 22 September 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Fancy coming with me on 17th Nov? I have just bought 4 tickets, standing! 2 pairs. Matinee....
Pharaoh number 2? Peggs?

Haha, I just put two tix from the matinee on 1 Dec in my basket, and was dithering over them, and about to see if you fancied going!  But 17th Nov was my other possible date!  So yep, I'm in (at least until the interval)!!  Thank you!

#34 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostBeth, on 22 September 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Haha, I just put two tix from the matinee on 1 Dec in my basket, and was dithering over them, and about to see if you fancied going!  But 17th Nov was my other possible date!  So yep, I'm in (at least until the interval)!!  Thank you!

Hurrah!

#35 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 September 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Is this intended to be humorous? Should Shakespeare, Chekhov and Ibsen have had 21st century drones in mind when constructing their plays? Your problem arises because you go so frequently to the theatre. It doesn't much bother more occasional attenders.

Given that most of Shakespeare's audience was standing up, I would have though it only polite for him to make his plays a little shorter. No wonder they had such short runs :lol:. And actually I do know people who find sitting for three hours in painfully uncomfortable seats (theatre seats are almost invariably less comfortable than cinema seats) a real turn-off.

#36 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 September 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

No, not humorous.  You can make cuts to Shakespeare, you can have less conservative programming at the Young Vic than Ibsent followed by Chekov.  And above all, you could have cut 1/2 hour out of this.

And people, that person is clearly saying they paid a fiver and snuck into a seat, they aren't saying the stanidng is seated.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#37 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Phil Daniels still off.....

Role covered amazingly well by an excellent actor (shamefully don't know his name) but was in London Road and have seen him here and there in some plays.
He had a script with him was for the first time ever it did not detract from the play a single bit!
Total credit to the director and cast where it's due. And the actor...can anyone help me out??

Play overall good, a bit long and found myself shifting about a bit at some points and there is the ubiquitous "choreography" from Scott Ambler with pseudo-dancing. Also some live annoying music (although credit as usual to the NT for the live element).
The performances are so good, though, that any shortfalls in the script are overlooked.
It also never feels preachy or like a documentary, which political "observational" plays can often do.
I did feel that these MPs were real people and we had (albeit fictional) insight into their personalities, strengths and weaknesses.

Handsome Charles Edwards too...lovely hair...!

#38 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Howard Ward, currently in Curious Incident.

#39 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostParsley, on 23 September 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Play overall good, a bit long and found myself shifting about a bit at some points and there is the ubiquitous "choreography" from Scott Ambler with pseudo-dancing. Also some live annoying music (although credit as usual to the NT for the live element).

Now you mention it, I could have done without the dancing.  Who doesn't like a bit of Bowie though?  First and last tracks on Ziggy Stardust fact fans.

By the way, I really enjoyed this, I know I didn't mention that the first time.  It's exactly what I want from the NT, good use of the space, not a show that will go West End or into another NT theater, but a great cast in a pretty good play.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#40 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

I loved it myself. And I loved everything about it: the music, choreography, the live band. They all came together to make a whole, and the production would suffer without any of these elements. I didn't mind that it was three hours and I don't want for any of it to be cut. Why would I want it to be shorter if I am enjoying myself that much? (on the other hand, if the three hours are for Three Sisters in the Young Vic production, and I want to slit my wrists, and not in a good way, that's another story).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users