116 replies to this topic

#51 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Just snaffled one of the few remaining tickets, after reading this thread. Looking forward to it now!

#52 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ah, was wondering if the NT were still putting returns online, obviously they are as this was completely sold out this morning. Will keep looking (am sadly old enough to remember it all for real!)

#53 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

http://www.whatsonst...ier in Feb.html in case anyone missed this.

#54 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

lot's of interesting reviews, I'd like to see this. I generally like Graham's work but I'm beginning to think as a writer he just picks a topic and finds lots of interesting facts about it and structures a narrative around it. So much of 'a fear of falling things' and 'the whisky taster' felt like a dramatised wikipedia article enabling the audience to feel smugly educated about a niche topic and that comes at the expense of the characters. Is this the case in this instance or has he invested more in the characters?

#55 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm going to have to return the ticket I bought for this saturday's matinee due to illness. Someone might get a chance to grab it....

#56 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Confirmed by Time Out that Philip Glenister will not be appearing in the transfer but Phil Daniels and Charles Edwards will be .

#57 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Given that I wasn't familiar with the playwright and am not hugely into 1970's politics, I wasn't expecting too much from this.  So what a fantastic surprise.  I'm not sure what time we came out, but it didn't feel a minute too long, and given that we were standing, that's high praise.  I loved the set and the absurdist moments and the multitude of one-liners and the occasional rock music and slow-mo choreography, but what made it a knock out for me was how much heart there was in the piece, particularly in the second half.  I'll never look at Deputy Chief Whips the same way!

Also, it helps to go with someone who can help you out in the interval by putting names to some of the constituencies - thank you, Latecomer and hubby!

#58 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

This was fun! It was quite like a quiz as most of the people are referred to by their constituencies so came home afterwards for a bit of wiki research! Funny how I then knew all the names! And talk about life being stranger than fiction!
Good production. I liked the fact that they played this with traverse staging but I didn't seem to miss any of the expressions....they had taken great care with the blocking. Great set.
Am just a little bit in love with both Philip Glenister (never has a waistcoat looked so good!) and Julian Wadham (I like a man with a slick put down!).
Loved Phil Daniels singing.

#59 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

One of my best plays of the year - brillant set, great music and choreograped bits, funny, touching and stonking acting, Beth is right when she says it has real heart. Really glad to have seen this and yes thanks Latecomer and Ed for filling in the missing bits, politics just got interesting.

#60 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostSnciole, on 04 November 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Confirmed by Time Out that Philip Glenister will not be appearing in the transfer but Phil Daniels and Charles Edwards will be .

And all the rest of the cast. Only Philip Glenister won't - talked to someone of the cast.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users