"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#72 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Bugger - I'm supposed to be going tonight.

#73 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Do we know if tonight's going ahead?

#74 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

There was a notice on the NT homepage yesterday, and there isn't today yet, so maybe it is going ahead
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#75 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Just received a reply from the NT after I tweeted them about tonight's performance:

" Hello there. Yes, the performance will go ahead tonight."

Huzzah! Hopefully the same can be said tomorrow.

#76 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Julian Wadham said they are performing with two extra people (not belonging to the usual cast) tonight - they had a rehearsal today.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#77 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Saw this last night and loved it - after a poor year for the National this and Timon have restored my faith.

The two new actors were both playing Labour whips and carried scripts with them the whole time. Both were very good though there were a few stumbles - emphasizing the wrong word in a line for example. The whole cast were great though Charles Edward and Philip Glenister were the standouts

#78 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

this has made me wonder, is it safe practice to always check the website of a theatre the day you go in case they cancel? I suppose there are usually understudies unless its the Cottesloe or maybe the donmar?

#79 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

No understudies at the Royal Court, or the Young Vic I think. Also places like the Bush, and the Almeida.

I really liked this- superbly staged. Jeremy Herrin is becoming a really good director. The two script-reading understudies (Lisa McGrillis and Andrew Frame) excellent- given the office environment it's set in, you hardly noticed them reading it. Charles Edwards a real stand out. Often very funny, and the ending somewhat moving. Will be interesting to see how it transfers. This is a brilliant design by Rae Smith, and one of the best uses of the Cottesloe I've seen. Great having a live band- a nice nod to the era it's set.

I stood, but sat for most of it on the railing behind me. Good view, esp for £5.

There was one woman  there (who I overheard speaking -and seemingly couldn't stop- to two somewhat surprised pensioners) who was watching it for the 17th time. She lives in Germany, and comes over for a week at a time, and watches every performance, including twice today. She was a crazily devoted Robert Glenister fan.

#80 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Agree the stand-ins were very good indeed and well rehearsed.  There was a also rather unfortunate moment of life immitating art when, just as an elderly MP was about to collapse on stage and be carried away on a stretcher, one of the [several] more elderly audience members passed out and banged her head against a railing, only to be taken out of the theatre moments later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users