116 replies to this topic

#81 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Andrew Frame as very good standing in for Phil Daniels early in the run. I actually prefered Frame to Daniels (he felt more like a Cockney wideboy made Chief Whip than Daniels) and he's been good for This House, I hope he will be Robert Glennister's replacement but not sure if he is heading off to do Curious Incident... at the Apollo.

I also saw that German woman talking to some Glennister fan girls when I went in October, who knew he had such a following!

Did anyone manage to get Entry Pass for this in the Olivier? I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get to see Charles Edwards and his lovely hair in the Olivier.

#82 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

When I saw it, I did wonder why Phil Daniels was doing it - it's a pretty small part and over very quickly. He didn't even hang around for the curtain call, and I don't blame him. Or am I over-estimating his status?

#83 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostSnciole, on 29 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Andrew Frame as very good standing in for Phil Daniels early in the run. I actually prefered Frame to Daniels (he felt more like a Cockney wideboy made Chief Whip than Daniels) and he's been good for This House, I hope he will be Robert Glennister's replacement but not sure if he is heading off to do Curious Incident... at the Apollo.

I also saw that German woman talking to some Glennister fan girls when I went in October, who knew he had such a following!

Did anyone manage to get Entry Pass for this in the Olivier? I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get to see Charles Edwards and his lovely hair in the Olivier.

What is big in Germany with Mr Glennister? Or over here, are they all Gene Hunt fans? That isn't a snide remark, I loved his Gene Hunt and he is really good in this, just wasn't aware he was fan girl status.

mmm lovely Charles Edwards and yes very impressive hair :)

#84 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Really enjoyed this and I think it will transfer well into the Olivier. I don't usually rate the Olivier as a space but with careful staging it will work and maybe be even better. It deserves a bigger audience anyway. Lovely acting, They got the balance between the funny one liners and the real pain blah blah. No judgement, no false sentiment, no carping on a la David Hare's later work.
Understudy with script on for Lauren O 'Neil, very good. They must have that awful norovirus going through the ranks with all the understudies. If you missed this at the Cottesloe, book for the Olivier. Nice work all round.

#85 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Stage tickets for the Olivier are on sale now.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#86 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostRedRose, on 14 January 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Stage tickets for the Olivier are on sale now.
Anybody sat in the stage seats for this yet? Or can comment on how it's transferred?

#87 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

This had to be the most tedious THREE hours I have ever had to spend in a theatre, I was bored out of my brain. The man next to me fell asleep and I could see another man nearby playing a game on his mobile to relieve the boredom. I admit my interest in 70s politics is slight but I didn't have a clue what was going on most of the time. I should have stuck to my gut feeling and steered clear. And the £12 stage seats are terrible, do not sit here (outer edges at least)

#88 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry you didn't like this. I can understand why. Some of us lived through the 70s though and so for  us it was interesting and insightful. And I think it was a well made little play.

#89 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I was born halfway through the 70s so don't remember too much about them, and still found it fascinating and quite electrifying in places, as well as very funny. Nice to remember there was a time when there was a clear distinction between the parties as well. Maybe you have to be a bit of a political anorak to find the details interesting, though I've never put myself in that category before - but I've booked to see it again in the Olivier, so perhaps I am!

#90 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm a child of the 80s so didn't have a clue what was going on to start with but it didn't spoil my enjoyment and my more clued up friends filled me in, am curious how this differs in the Olivier so tell us when you've been Abby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users