#81 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Wait,wait - I haven't gone yet!  (Which also means I can't read all the spoilers above or any of the reviews.)

#82 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ok, let us know when you go :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#83 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

:)

#84 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yes, please wait till I've had a chance to see it too!

The 'new audience' thing does amuse me. I mean, everyone had a first time! If they don't come back again then there's something wrong.

Especially with a theatre as small as the Donmar or Upstairs at the RC, they could easily sell out an entire run to new audience members, but if they don't want to go back again it's utterly pointless!

#85 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

saw this tonight with Latecomer, thanks to her speedy online buying. Glad to have seen this but equally was rather relieved when ended but can't really say why whilst people still haven't seen this. We sat front row so brillant view, have never been upstairs before so was quite surprised by just how small and intimate it is. Going to read reviews now it is safe and will try to work out just what I think, suspect it'll be a grower, some lovely acting.

#86 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I enjoyed this a lot. Completely won over by Dominic West - very well cast and acted.
Front row seats seemed uncomfortable for some reason...slippery?
Good to see this after All That Fall....had same sort of feel to it....
Can't say more without spoiling it but enjoyable and very glad I went! B)

#87 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I managed to get two tix for last night and enjoyed it,though am still puzzling over it as well.  Thought Dominic West was amazing - he has such a hugely physical presence and can go from gentle to sinister without seeming to do anything at all.  Also liked Miranda Raison - third time I've seen her on stage - every time very good and very different.  The intimacy of the setting is part of the appeal certainly.

#88 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Bah. Was stuck on train at 9am (still am). The Royal Court website is not set up for mobile browsing and I lost precious seconds when the booking pop up threw my screen iut of whack. Then I lost 3G signal. No chance.

#89 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I tried this morning too, and clicked the "booking" logo as soon as it appeared, but it was already sold out.  There must be lots more nimble fingered theatregoers out there.

#90 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Bit late in my reporting back, but boy did this live up to the hype. It was really just beautiful and worked seamlessly well. I somehow managed to repeatedly miss Jerusalem so cannot compare this to Butterworth's previous effort, but I can say that he has written a moving, funny and thought-provoking play that just flows perfectly. Brilliant performances as well, highly recommended.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

Also tagged with Royal Court

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users