"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#53 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Some more considered thoughts ... I really didn't like this! Hannah Waddingham was great, and I really enjoyed "I Hate Men" - if the rest of the show had been as camp and OTT as that it would have been a lot more fun. Also liked the set - particularly all the show-within-a-show stuff.

But the whole thing seemed so laboured. Everything needed to be quicker (including the pace of the music). And Clive Rowe gave exactly the same performance as in The Ladykillers. And the plot just stopped at the end -
Spoiler
And there were too many bits where it was like "Do you remember that time we were in Germany?" "Oh yes! Lets sing an interminably long song about it!" "Isn't it hot!" "Yes, let's sing an interminably long song about it, and do some dancing!"

I think I probably need to avoid the Old Vic's Christmas shows - this is the third year running I've sat in stony silence while all around me were laughing fit to bust.

#54 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

While I agree that Brush Up Your Shakespeare went on a tad too long in Chichester, I thought the rest of the show was heavenly!

#55 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

i didnt hate it as much as you xanderl but i do not quite the adulation its getting either. I think alot depends on how you feel about KMK as a musical. As a piece i found it is a bit slow, and being directed by Nunn doesnt help that. Unlike you i thought Hannah was good, but not great, just exactly the same as everything ive seen her in, same with Clive Rowe. Strong ensemble and great set.

i enjoyed it but wouldnt rave about it or rush back

#56 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

For a musical, Kiss Me Kate has a very fat book - lots and lots of dialogue scenes - and if they're not played crisply and with genuine style it can seem like a long evening.  Brush Up Your Shakespeare has those built in reprises and needs to be so much fun that you want them - if this is not the case then it's deadly.  

On the other hand, I don't know how Too Darn Hot can be ruined unless the choreography is awful.  It's a fabulous way to open the second act.

For me, Michael Blakemore's Broadway revival of about a decade ago (I believe it also played in the West End) was the perfect Kiss Me Kate.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#57 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Postmallardo, on 19 December 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

On the other hand, I don't know how Too Darn Hot can be ruined unless the choreography is awful.  It's a fabulous way to open the second act.

To be fair, the opening of the second act took a lot longer than it should have - someone in the balcony needed medical attention and the start of the act had to wait while they were taken out of the auditorium and an ambulance was called. Since the ensemble are already on stage doing "It's too hot" acting they had to carry on doing that while all of this was going on.

And also to be doubly fair, this is why it was a 3 hour evening rather than 2 hours 45 minutes.

#58 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

In Chichester 'Brush Up Your Shakespeare' went down a storm, with me especially! The set pieces in this are sensational- it's the book, or rather the way it is played, which slows this production down.

#59 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Am bemused by previous posts. Who cares what happens to the General? The opening of Act Two was as good as it gets and the dialogue is to the point and there isn't much of it. I suppose I don't see the more contemporary work out there now so my idea of a good Musical stops circa 1960 ( when was My Fair Lady? )

#60 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostLynette, on 19 December 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Am bemused by previous posts. Who cares what happens to the General? The opening of Act Two was as good as it gets and the dialogue is to the point and there isn't much of it. I suppose I don't see the more contemporary work out there now so my idea of a good Musical stops circa 1960 ( when was My Fair Lady? )
I haven't seen this yet but if "there isn't much dialogue" then trims have been made.   Out of interest, is "From This Moment On" included in  this production and does the General sing it?  If so, how does it play?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users