89 replies to this topic

#81 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Four of us went to see this on wednesday evening.Adam Garcia was off.Hannah Waddingham was brilliant but sadly not brilliant enough to stop 2 of our party leaving at the interval.They hated it.We put up with it for Hannah and nothing more.

#82 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Did we all the same show? I just saw it tonight and it was electrifying. The house was pretty packed and there were loads of teenagers having a blast.

It's one of the best West End shows I've ever seen - musicals-wise, almost as good as Trevor Nunn's spectacular Anything Goes. Hannah Waddingham and Holly Dale Spencer are forces of nature, but everyone's great. It's long, yes, but to me (and seemingly everyone else there) that just meant you get more joy for your money. It never drags for a moment. The set design is exquisite, the dancing heavenly (they whip souffles out of numbers that are utterly leaden in the film) and the cast so full of panache. The second act in particular is one showstopper after another after another. I've seen Waddingham light up the stage in Spamalot, Little Night Music and Wizard of Oz, and though she's always impressive, I think this is her finest hour. Breathtaking. I can't recommend it enough.

#83 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I know Kiss Me, Kate doesn't close until next month but does anybody know if she has got anything planned for after the run? I know she was engaged and was supposedly moving to Australia then she was announced for Kiss Me Kate

#84 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hmm, torn on this show. Whilst I appreciate the quality of the production I didn't really enjoy this, it dragged on and on for one thing. The songs were a mixture for me, a couple I liked but most were forgetable. Too darn hot was my favourite section, and would have been happy to leave after that if that had ended act 1 instead of opening act 2. And while Hannah Waddingham's talents are in no question, whenever she laughed all I could hear was the wicked witch of the west. Adam Garcia dancing made up for it all in the end though.

#85 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Forgettable songs?  Wow.  Which ones?  The book scenes do go on but ALL of the songs are wonderful.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#86 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

This show really seems to be dividing everyone!! I think the cast have regular "off" days where their performances just aren't as good - I've seen it twice, the first time it really wasn't very good and I wouldn't have gone again but I was invited, second time was great and I loved it!! Some of my friends have found the same thing.

#87 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postmallardo, on 13 February 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Forgettable songs?  Wow.  Which ones?  The book scenes do go on but ALL of the songs are wonderful.

I forgot...

#88 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

LOL.  How did I not see that coming?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#89 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Saw this on Friday and wanted to love it but it just felt extremely dull. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that my +1 slept through most of it! A real shame as the cast was fantastic, but the show itself just didn't do anything for me. It was nice to finally see Alex Bourne as someone else than Commander Khashoggi though (he was always my favourite part of watching WWRY).

#90 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Saw this on Friday too and I loved it!! Carolyn Maitland was on as Lilli/Kate (bad luck for Hannah missing the second last night) and she was so good!! I was really impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users