Yes, it got 4* from Billington: http://www.guardian..../mar/17/theatre

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I remember it was v good. Not sure I can be bothered to see another production, however philistine that sounds.

#13 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostLynette, on 12 June 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

I remember it was v good. Not sure I can be bothered to see another production, however philistine that sounds.
Yes, I saw and enjoyed the Best/Cumberbatch one (Duke of York's) and thought the same as you, Lynette but ... Sheridan Smith plus Adrian Scarborough, Anne Reid and Fenella Woolgar - I'm wavering already :P

#14 Melody2

Melody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yes, Mallardo, I too, thought that Sheridan was brilliant in Flare Path, but even that play could have been seen as moving out of her 'comfort zone'. After all, she was straight into that, only a few weeks after an extended run in Legally Blonde, and nothing could have been more different. Sheridan is such a versatile actress, she's proved that she can do comedy and drama equally well.  I think she will definitely be able to do  'haughty and fatally ambitious', and  I'm really looking forward to seeing Sheridan's portrayal of Hedda.

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostLynette, on 12 June 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Didn't Eve Best play the role at The Almeida? Brilliantly I recall or am I thinking of someone else and a different play and another theatre?

Yes, but sadly in a boring and painfully conservative production by Richard Eyre. By far the best Hedda seen at the Almeida (or pretty much anywhere else) was Deborah Findlay.

#16 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Adrian Scarborough......sold to the theatre lady from Oxford. Have bought a ticket for matinee on 31st Oct. I love Sheridan and Scarborough is an absolute must see. Now better plan a bit of overtime to pay for the ticket....or perhaps just feed the family fish fingers for a while!

#17 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Popped into the old vic on the way to the national, only to discover they aren't selling front rows to under 25s anymore. Apparently it's not quite set in stone, but it's 'being discussed', and as such, aren't being sold.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#18 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostPolly1, on 12 June 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Yes, I saw and enjoyed the Best/Cumberbatch one (Duke of York's) and thought the same as you, Lynette but ... Sheridan Smith plus Adrian Scarborough, Anne Reid and Fenella Woolgar - I'm wavering already :P
Oh dear, this is very tempting with that cast, I saw an amateur version of this recently and realised just how spoilt i'd become seeing professional productions. I'm not suggesting amateur can't be good but the highlight of this evening was the novel use of chalk to demonstrate a bad night out on the town (chalk attacks happen to me all the time)

#19 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

View Postpeggs, on 13 June 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Oh dear, this is very tempting with that cast, I saw an amateur version of this recently and realised just how spoilt i'd become seeing professional productions. I'm not suggesting amateur can't be good but the highlight of this evening was the novel use of chalk to demonstrate a bad night out on the town (chalk attacks happen to me all the time)
Come along! (I am the classic bad ideas bear!) I am in E19 if you crack! :) I need to hear the chalk story!

#20 robintusin

robintusin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

First Look at Sheridan as Hedda Gabler.

http://a2.sphotos.ak...238474299_o.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users