• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#31 londontheatrefan

londontheatrefan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

she looks stunning in the pictures...(http://www.heddaonbroadway.com) - I can't quite believe it is the same girl who I saw as Elle Woods and Audrey. I missed her in Flare Path so am looking forward to seeing her in a straight play. She does seem to be in vogue at the moment which is interesting. She obviously has a good agent!

Going to book my tickets this week I think. Will be interested to hear how it goes from previews...?

#32 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

There are a few offers on this at the moment if you haven't booked yet - best seats around 35. Have a look on theatre monkey
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#33 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Excited for this on Saturday - yet to see Ms. Smith on stage, but love her TV work. She seems to have a full calander for the next 18 months... It'll be interesting to see how she develops over the next few years.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#34 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

View Postlondontheatrefan, on 04 September 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

she looks stunning in the pictures...(http://www.heddaonbroadway.com) - I can't quite believe it is the same girl who I saw as Elle Woods and Audrey.

Not forgetting Emma on the Royle Family all those years ago!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#35 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

It's a thrilling production. Beautiful to look at - the set is stunning - but also visceral. The whole cast is incredibly strong, and Sheridan Smith, no way around it, is quite impressive. Second preview tonight and as far as I can see, they are ready for press night.

#36 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yes, Sheridan Smith can clearly do anything and she is riveting in Anna Mackmin's beautiful new production in which Hedda is a soul in torment right from the get go.

There is a brief dumb show before the play begins with Hedda in a filmy nightgown wandering the rooms of the big new house like a prisoner in a glass cage and this sets the tone for the evening.  Hedda Gabler is such a complex and repellent character in so many ways with her malicious contempt and her wilful destructiveness and we get all of that from Sheridan but we also get her deep vulnerability and frantic despair.  For the first time in my brief experience of the play, I felt that I understood Hedda and why she was doing these appalling things.  She's not only trapped in this house, she's trapped inside herself, unable to restrain herself from lashing out. There are four doors in the set and Hedda invariably closes them when they're left open as if to separate herself from her life, as if she knows that around others, she's out of control .  

If Sheridan weren't so compelling, Adrian Scarborough would steal the show as the naive, coddled, overgrown boy that is George Tesman.  His unprepossessing looks and demeanor rather emphasize the gap between him and his new wife making the what-is-she-doing-with-him factor even more extreme than usual but he is so marvellously entertaining in the role that one overlooks it.  Fenella Woolgar is terrific as the overwrought Thea and Daniel Lapaine is a fine and utterly convincing Loevborg.

I was less happy with Darrell D'Silva's bearish Judge Brack but, alas for him, he's the one who gets saddled with the worst element of Brian Friel's "version" (not translation) of the play.  He has given Brack a penchant for American colloquialisms, which slightly amuses at first but quickly wears out its welcome.  When was the last time you heard "Gee whiz" and "Making whoopee" in an Ibsen play?  Hopefully, never again.

But it's Sheridan Smith's show and she is wonderful, her frozen smile masking a world of pain.  She's a remarkable actress.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#37 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Sounds great, thanks for the early reviews. What's the running time?

#38 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Running time is approximately 2:45 to 2:50.  I'm unsure because I didn't look at my watch until I was on the tube - a tribute of sorts to the production.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#39 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ta! Seeing a matinee then need to cross London afterwards :)

#40 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

With a review like that, how could I not book this?? First time seeing both Smith and the play itself, looking forward to it.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users