84 replies to this topic

#41 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

There's something about seeing Sheridan Smith which just captivates me. I truly believe she will become one of our GREAT stage actresses and I am very excited about seeing her in this role.

#42 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Good god, this was utterly awful to sit through and I made my get away at the interval.

Sheridan Smith is incredibly miscast as Hedda Gabler and lacks depth of emotional expressions. Perhaps she improved after the intermission.....?

I loved her in Legally Blonde but I do not think she has made the transition to a proper stage actress and I was quite surprised that she was even considered worthy of a supporting Olivier for Flare Path. I suppose that this was a secondary role and quite a two dimensional one.

Here she seems ill at ease and there are many other actresses that can tackle this role better. She is too early in her "acting career" to manage Hedda.

I think that she is well out of her depth in this role and does not have the presence or power to command the audience in such an important role.

I have seen 3 Hedda Gablers and the Old Vic show is just so pallid compared to the Almeida version, directed by Richard Eyre with Eve Best and Benedict Cumberbatch. In retrospect that was probably one of the definitive versions and stagings of this play. I still remember it vividly.

Rosamund Pike didn't do too badly in a touring version that I saw in Richmond a few years ago.

Sheridan Smith might have done well to see these fine actresses doing the role successfully- although I doubt she has ever seen any Ibsen before.

The set was oddly stupid and unnecessary. I suppose it is hard to make allowances when the play has been done so well within my recent memory.
The supporting cast are all also mediocre with poor projection at many times.

Had been really excited for this as well...

#43 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Rosamund Pike got a big thumbs down from me in the touring version and I thought that was a terrible production....will be interested to see if we agree on this Parsley...thought Sheridan very moving in Flare Path
Here's what I thought of Parsley's "didn't do too badly" version!!!!
http://www.thepublic...ford-playhouse/

#44 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Did you see Eve Best?

Mesmerising

I agree that Rosamund Pike was certainly nowhere a memorable role but she still is more likeable onstage than Sheridan Smith- who incidentally has to wear the most stupid and unconvincing wig.....

#45 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

No, I bet she was great....

#46 Melody2

Melody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

What nonsense Parsley is talking again! The theatre was packed tonight, Tuesday, and the cast received a standing ovation. I really don't think he understands Ibsen at all, and it is he who is out of his depth! Sheridan knows exactly how she wants to portray the complex emotions of Hedda, and she brings a fresh approach to the character, which enables us to more easily understand what's going on in Hedda's mind. I've seen many actresses play Hedda, and this is the first time I could actually 'get' her!  Excellent supporting cast too, so I don't know how Parsley can call them 'mediocre'. Entitled to his own opinion of course, but he needs to read the many positive reviews from appreciative members of the audience - such as The Other Bridge Project - Hedda review, and Revstan - Hedda review.(Google them)

#47 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

You do realise the positive reviews are still just opinions, that don't somehow validate your view that parsleys opinion is wrong or illjudged.

I've not see Sheridan in this, not sure I will as I found her too goofy in legally blonde so I don't quite get the acclaim she gets. That said I've liked her in other roles so I'm torn

#48 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Erm, I was there last night, and while I agree that Sheridan Smith was excellent as Hedda (although it was my first Hedda Gabler and I wasn't familiar with the play, so that opinion does not take into account how others have played the role and I had no preconceptions about it) she did not get a standing ovation. A few people did stand up, yes, but 10 people does not = an ovation!

I do agree that the supporting cast was excellent - especially Adrian Scarborough - I understand from the programme that Friel's translation fleshes out the supporting characters a bit, which doubtless helps.

#49 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I think any review that describes Adrian Scarborough as mediocre can safely be discounted...

#50 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

I thought Adrian Scarborough was rather lovely, maybe too lovely to see him as a poor catch.All the supporting cast were good, maybe with the exception of Daniel Lapiane.
Lovely pictures in the mail http://www.dailymail...dda-Gabler.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users