#51 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 12 September 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Erm, I was there last night, and while I agree that Sheridan Smith was excellent as Hedda (although it was my first Hedda Gabler and I wasn't familiar with the play, so that opinion does not take into account how others have played the role and I had no preconceptions about it) she did not get a standing ovation. A few people did stand up, yes, but 10 people does not = an ovation!

I do agree that the supporting cast was excellent - especially Adrian Scarborough - I understand from the programme that Friel's translation fleshes out the supporting characters a bit, which doubtless helps.

Not sure why how anyone else has played it should always matter.If its new to you and works well comparisons are impossible without a time machine. If you have seen it before, you can note that  someone else seemed to get everything right for you and filled in gaps that  others mssed,  but you can't turn up to a new cast expecting to see what you saw before. Either you turn up looking  for the new angles, how it hangs together, and what positives there are ,  or you probably should  decide you have already seen the definitive version and stay home.Turning up,complaining that things are different and denouncing all concerned,  is just an inevitable consequence of not seeing what you last saw and expected to see again. In this case,  it seems from the interviews that they wanted a new angle on Hedda and picked someone good who could play it that way. if it works for enough people the show will be a success. if it doesn't,  its a bit bizarre if you start by  blaming  the actor for doing what the director wants. Off to Hedda next week......

#52 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostTitan, on 12 September 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

You do realise the positive reviews are still just opinions, that don't somehow validate your view that parsleys opinion is wrong or illjudged.

I've not see Sheridan in this, not sure I will as I found her too goofy in legally blonde so I don't quite get the acclaim she gets. That said I've liked her in other roles so I'm torn

i think it would have been more credible if it hadn't started by incorporating  Flare Path into the attack without seemingly seeing it. Most of the  audiences, and the critics ,and the Olivier judges, seem to have been of a like opinion about Miss Smith in that. The issue with that Olivier was not whether it was  for a small secondary role but actually should have been for leading actress rather than supporting.  as  it was as near a leading role as any in Flare Path and comparable to others.

Legally has been played  by a variety of really good people  with slightly different strengths and  interpretations. I think there's a reason though why Sheridan got the biggest receptions (tho' I saw Amy get the same response by hitting the emotions even harder)  I imagine from the newspaper interviews that thats what they wanted with Hedda - they want her to connect more  with the audience  as Elle and Doris did,  so they picked someone they thought who really can do that. Will see if it works for me next week.

#53 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I really enjoyed this, and still thinking about parts of it even days after seeing it. She plays it nice, sweet and girly - which is fine when her husband is around - but I would have liked to have seen a few slips of the mask when he wasn't.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#54 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hardly a raft of reviews indicating that this is anything near the definitive production some people thought it was....

The Independent particularly echoes my views on how it misses the target

I also note that (Daily Mail) also indicates the problems with audibility that I experienced

And even the Guardian (who gives a more positive overall review) criticises the "version" by Brian Friel and comments that Adrian Scarborough plays Tesman as a "funny fusspot" (in a negative way)

I totally agree with all the reviews that praise Fenella Woolgar as the star of the show. In my mind (from the first half anyway) her acting is in a totally different league to everyone else on stage and this is most evident when she is seen with the "leading lady"

#55 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

You see, not knowing the play at all, or having seen it before, I just don't quite understand what it is that's meant to be wrong with it. What's wrong with Tesman being funny? How does it 'miss the target'? I loved it.

#56 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Actually Charles Spencer is the one who gets it right.  Billington's problem is with Friel's "version" and I agree with the points he makes in that regard.  The Independent review is ridiculous.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#57 Melody2

Melody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Well said Mallardo,I totally agree with you. The Telegraph's Charles Spencer has got it absolutely right, as he praises this production, and in particular, Sheridan Smith. Parsley's entitled to his own apparently biased opinion, but it's not really credible, as it was formed after only watching the first half! Maybe he should go again to see what he missed! There are so many more excellent reviews appearing, written by experienced, well-respected theatre critics, who have 'seen it all'. They certainly know what they're talking about. ( The Stage, Time Out, London Evening Standard, The Times - 5 star!)

#58 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostMelody2, on 13 September 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Well said Mallardo,I totally agree with you. The Telegraph's Charles Spencer has got it absolutely right, as he praises this production, and in particular, Sheridan Smith. Parsley's entitled to his own apparently biased opinion, but it's not really credible, as it was formed after only watching the first half! Maybe he should go again to see what he missed! There are so many more excellent reviews appearing, written by experienced, well-respected theatre critics, who have 'seen it all'. They certainly know what they're talking about. ( The Stage, Time Out, London Evening Standard, The Times - 5 star!)

I'll go with the 5 star after seeing it on Wednesday for the matinee. The story works fine and Sheridan takes us onboard for her ride. She simmers and boils nicely with  flashes of anger, and manages to be despicable while still making the audience feel for her. She draws the eye even when not centre stage. A considerably  older looking  George stresses the mismatch a bit, but everyone else seemed fine to me too. Apart from  a wonderful build into the finale,  I thought the fireplace scene was wonderfully done. I sat there thinking how effective and dramatic it was,  and how totally into it  Sheridan  was,  and began marvelling at how she was managing to manage such big flames. I looked on twitter later,  and it seems she was  burning her fingers doing it - but without a flicker detracting from the character. The girl's a trooper - and a star.

#59 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Are there day seats for this or the £12 under25 seats that they used to do?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#60 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

5 stars from me too! Just go see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users