84 replies to this topic

#71 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

What a lovely day you have planned! Let us know how it is...Hedda is my half term treat!

#72 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Saw this yesterday and loved it! It's differnt in that this adaption adds in quite a bit which otherwise is perhaps usually just suggested but it really works. This is very strongly cast, Adrian Scarborough is as ever wonderful (what an actor, when is he not good?) and Fenella Woolgar provides some real steeliness for her character. Beautiful set and good use of music, this was a production that really hung together and ticked all the boxes.

This would all have been true but this play soars or falls on Hedda and for me Sheridan Smith was amazing, I pretty much watched what she was doing most of the way through and that was with all the quality the other actors brought. I thought she was pitch perfect and gut wrenching to watch. Spectacularly awful at times, utterly heartless and yet so vulnerable and incapable of bearing the situation she is in.

#73 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, the girl done good. V interesting slightly modernised script. A proper night in the theatre.

#74 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Were you there last night Lynette? I was in the marvelous £16 C11 seat.

I was pretty underwhelmed by this. I don't think I normally have a problem suspending disbelief, but I thought the play was just too silly (I haven't seen it before), and Sheridan Smith just didn't convince me. I'm afraid I snorted a laugh at the climax.

I've just read that Sheridan Smith was up all night vomiting and spent the morning on a drip. So I think she did pretty well considering!

#75 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

goodness, what a trooper

#76 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Annie in the stalls, I was row D other end. Sorry SS wasn't well, that might have accounted for her shaking when sitting down at one point. I thought it was acting, suppressed whatever and v clever. Now more likely to be flu!

As productions of this play go , it was a bit different I think. First time I've ever been convinced that this was a married couple who got on ok, actually had sex [ at least once ] and could go on to a normal kind of exisitence in their little community. Usually doom envelops her from the first minute. This Hedda was a nasty piece of work and perhaps SS was finding it difficult to reach the heroic quality that Ibsen I think intended. That clipped accent didn't help. To distinguish her from the bourgeoisie, yes, but made her inaudible occasionally. I felt that someone like her would probably not actually see the maid as a person at all so being nasty to her wasn't in character imo.
No need for the Judge's bloody hands at the end, no need for the extended baby naming [ added by Friel ] though this gave AS a marvellous moment.

But it was better than ok and SS was better than ok.
Now what can she play next? A bit of Shakespeare perhaps or something very contemporary? suggestions on a postcard

#77 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

She is doing Shakespeare next, in the Grandage season.

#78 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

O is that the Dream? Haven't booked for that yet. I'll have a decks now, see when I can go.

#79 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Yep, Dream- playing Titania I think, with David Walliams as Bottom.

#80 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've booked this for October. There were plenty of seats for the Sat night I booked. Lets hope I'm still conscious by then. If not, I donate the tix to the board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users