44 replies to this topic

#21 theatremadhatter

theatremadhatter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Did anyone go today? I had a friend who said it was so busy around 1pm it was one person in one person out it was so overcrowded. Planning to go tomorrow!

#22 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

A friend of mine went and was very impressed with Geronimo Rauch.

#23 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I went, we got there about 10.30, joined a very long queue but got in OK. Stayed until about 2pm when they were limiting who went in, but I don't know at what point they started having to do that.
It was fantastic though, quite hard to see at times though - it depended who was in your sight line, but the crowd kept shifting so at times the view was good and at others a bit disappointing.
There were big screens though so we didn't miss much, although the cameraman would perhaps have benefited from  a rehearsal as he seemed uncertain what to zoom in on at times & the main action was sometimes missed. He was all over the place in "One Day More"!!
Billy Elliott was disappointing as we couldn't see at that point, the performers are all, ahem...quite short! and the screens showed a background montage of miners etc instead of showing us what was going on on stage. That was a shame, as it sounded wonderful.
And note to directors, songs where the choreography involves kneeling down make it even harder for the crowd to see. As Long As You're Mine from Wicked was beautiful but if they had stood we'd have been able to see more!
I thought Top Hat OK , Ragtime came across beautifully vocally, Singin in The Rain (Good Mornin) was fun & lively, Les Mis (On My Own, Bring Him Home & One Day More) & Wicked (As Long As, For Good & Defying Gravity) were amazing, Danielle Hope makes a stunning Eponine.Ghost made more of an effort than usual (can't remember the name of the song sorry but it was Sam & Molly) and Chicago was a slick as ever - and we got to see the gorgeous Raza Jaffrey. WWRY, Mamma Mia, Rock of Ages & Jersey Boys were fantastic fun and got everyone singing along. Ryan Molloy was so thrilled it wasn't raining after last year..
Sweeny Todd just did "Joanna" and Phantom "Music of the Night", both OK but nothing special for me.
That's all I saw as we desperately needed re-fuelling by then.
All fantastic fun though, the weather was lovely with only the very odd spot of rain that never really developed into a proper shower and I even got a bit sunburnt.

#24 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Nice to hear Blood Brothers get a big cheer.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#25 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Blood Brothers singing Easy Terms and Tell Me It's Not True.... no prerecorded vocals, no backing tracks....

#26 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Walked past about 2:40 yeaterday and it was one in one out. Not a hige queu though and the screens were watchable outside the main area. Looked like a fun event - never been!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#27 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

love that blood brothers and les miserables have perfromed this year!

#28 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Loved West End Live this year, great atmosphere. Got to Trafalgar Square around 11am where l thought the security was very good, checking bags etc, l left after an hour to get a drink and then went back in ........ what a difference an hour makes.... no checks at all after that....!

#29 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Got there around 12.30 today, no queue. Got right up near to the stage too. Much quieter there today than yesterday.

#30 simonp820

simonp820

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Attended for a few hours on both days and got sunburnt on Saturday and drenched on Sunday!

Agree with other comments though - was brilliant! Am going to be spending a fortune now on shows I didn't think I'd ever want to see and now must.

Two negatives (for me) - others have mentioned the video feed - is was pretty rubbish. I fully understand they couldn't do full rehearsals for so many shows but the director clearly had no interest in/knowledge of any of the shows as he was cutting about all over the shop. Bit more practise next year guys!

I was very disappointed with Matilda's performance too. The performance itself was great (as always) but 'Naughty' does not lend itself particularly well to a big crowd - especially coming off the back of Rock of Ages, Billy Elliot, etc. 'Revolting Children' would have been much better. Although, of course, that would require the rest of the cast and much more planning/organisation - and let's face it, Matilda doesn't really need to 'sell' itself at the moment (I believe July is completely sold out!)

So what about next year? It's outgrown Leicester Square. Trafalgar Square was packed. Hyde Park maybe?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users