44 replies to this topic

#31 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Very enjoyable this year and absolutely masses of people both days.  I got there from the start on both days, stayed until 2pm on Saturday, 3.30 on Sunday (sat on the steps Sunday so less back ache from standing).  Excellent showcases from The Jersey Boys - and from Thriller.  Les Mis were superb.  I really enjoyed Danielle and Geronimo - another visit to Les Mis soon!

Honestly, it was so much busier than last year - I was close (about 3 back) from the front of the barrier on Saturday, but Sunday from the steps it was an absolute sea of people.  People still turning up at 4pm when I left on Sunday.

#32 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I went on Saturday, arrived at 10:30am and joined the long que but got in quite quickly and got quite close to the front! I see no reason why people waited from 5:30am to get in??

I must say, there seemed to be a lot more effort put in by the shows than other years and it paid off! The hightlights for me was Billy Elliot who did a lovely mix of songs performed by the majority of the cast, Wicked which is always a crowd pleaser and Les Mis which made me want to see it again!

Biggest disappointment was Ghost for me! Something felt wrong with the sound and neither lead sounded up for it especially Mark Evans who sounded dreadful!! Phantom also a little disappointing! When they unveiled the big candle holders I thought "ooo" but then they just sang one song? And Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia! They did exactly the same as last year, same songs even in the same order!!

I too thought that it's starting to outgrow the square and think Hyde Park would be a great new place but I think the idea of West End Live is being in the heart of the West End? I dunno! Lovely day out though!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#33 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think Hyde Park would be too big; Trafalgar Square is just about right.

#34 jersey_girl

jersey_girl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostMark_21, on 25 June 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

And Jersey Boys. They did exactly the same as last year, same songs even in the same order!!

actually they didnt. Some of the stuff was the same, but the girls is a new addition to the medley. They have only done this once before at the oliviers.
They really put an effort in to it and always goes down a storm.

I loved the fact that other shows did more this year,

I filmed some of the shows again this year. If you would like to have a look please look at my youtube page

http://www.youtube.c...ess007/featured

#35 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostSeriously, on 24 June 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Blood Brothers singing Easy Terms and Tell Me It's Not True.... no prerecorded vocals, no backing tracks....

Wow, that's brilliant, thanks for posting :rolleyes: Go Vivienne!
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#36 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Anyone have any footage of the Lion King performance i have looked but cant find it. thanks

#37 jersey_girl

jersey_girl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostRozzi Rainbow, on 25 June 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Wow, that's brilliant, thanks for posting :rolleyes: Go Vivienne!

awww loved her ever since Joseph back in the day lol

#38 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Put some up my videos up if anyone wants to have a look :)

http://www.youtube.c...10?feature=mhee

#39 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

From what I've seen on twitter the people who got there for 5.30 were also at the sound check the day before..! There really is no need to be there that early to be at the front, I rolled in about half 10 (Saturday) and got a perfect view a bit further back. Personal favourites included Wicked, Les Mis (Thoroughly impressed by Danielle and she made me want to go and see the show asap!), and Rock of Ages even though I'm not a huge fan of the show overall, thought the cast were brilliant.

#40 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

West End Live was fantastic this year. Probably the best I've been to so far (this was my 5th time).
The only problem is, as others have already mentioned, it gets bigger every year and attracts more people - soon the crowds will get too big even for Trafalgar Square!
This was the first time I went to both days and Sunday was just as packed as the Saturday!
Highlights for me were Les Mis, Rock Of Ages and The In-Between. I loved that most of the shows did a good 10 - 15 minutes, as far as I could see everyone there was loving it.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users