412 replies to this topic

#1 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Couldn't find a thread already for this so please forgive me if there is one!

As previously rumoured, Sam Mendes (Director) will be bringing Roald Dahl's 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory' to the stage as a brand new musical that will premiere at the London Palladium in June 2013 (official dates and cast to be announced). It is being produced by Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures, Neal Street Productions and Kevin McCormick. Tickets will go on sale in October.

The book will be by David Greig and there will be new songs written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman - the team behind Hairspray. Even though they have named it 'Charlie...' as opposed to 'Willy Wonka...', I wonder whether they'd use any of the films original songs or go for a completely new score?

The rest of the creative team includes Mark Thompson (set & costume design), Peter Darling (choreogprahy), Doug Besterman (orchestrations), Nicholas Skilbeck (music director), Paul Pyant (lighting designer) and Jon Driscoll (video and projection designer).
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#2 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Very excited for this!

#3 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Not sure whether or not to be excited for this or not. If a new pair of writers are going to grab the book and start from scratch then it has to be just as sharp, as whitty and as clever when you adapt Dahl's work like Matilda is (as David Walliams recently discovered on his ITV "Perspectives" documentrary") and not just fill it with show tunes and ballads, otherwise they may aswell have expanded out the Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley version for the stage.

I hope it will visually be a delight especially with the chocolate river et all however I think the logo is clever but perhaps a bit too complicated say if they took apart the text for new adverts etc.

But still I hope it does well :)

#4 humbug83

humbug83

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

I'm really excited. The sets should be amazing. I wonder if the tickets will be yellow/orange to make them look like golden tickets ;)

To be honest though, I hope it will be more like the Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory film from 1971 rather than the recent film starring Johnny Depp (and the book!) and I hope it will contain some of the songs from the movie as well as new ones.

As for casting, I could see Michael Ball being a good Willy Wonka. I would love Will Ferrell to do it but that's never gonna happen!!

#5 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

Apparently (there's that dangerous word again!), Scrooge: The Musical will be a Christmas filler between Oz and Charlie!
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#6 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure it will be a filler for the whole time between Oz and Charlie, most probably just over the Xmas period. I heard that South Pacific may be going in there too after it finishes its tour.

#7 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostZippy, on 18 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

I'm not sure it will be a filler for the whole time between Oz and Charlie, most probably just over the Xmas period. I heard that South Pacific may be going in there too after it finishes its tour.

Yeah, I don't see it being filler for the whole time.

As regards to South Pacific, I think they decided that it wouldn't work as the set wasn't fit for a west end run, though I know it was intended to go in there at one point in time.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 18 June 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't see it being filler for the whole time.

As regards to South Pacific, I think they decided that it wouldn't work as the set wasn't fit for a west end run, though I know it was intended to go in there at one point in time.

Though the fact there were offers everywhere for the Barbican run can't have helped. Also that it wasn't very good

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

I've Also heard a rumour of Scrooge coming back.

#10 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

White Christmas? Heard that a few times when it was a rumour for the Sister Act - Wizard of Oz gap.

Would have also said it could be a great oppertunity for a "return" of a big Palladium panto but all the good panto stars are already booked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users