#251 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 30 March 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Titan, Charlie has had every West End producer refusing to open this summer. No one wants to compete. The money being thrown at it is massive. And the story to popular to mean it won't last several years. It's like the people saying Mormon would bomb over here. Just defies logic.

No west end producer in his right mind wants to open a show in the summer, period

#252 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

This show is gonna storm the Oliviers next year too...

#253 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 30 March 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

This show is gonna storm the Oliviers next year too...

I wouldn't be so sure - Mormon and Once will both be eligible too!  For all anyone knows at the minute, Charlie might actually turn out to be a Lord of the Rings-style flop, so I think people should wait until it's actually open before making such massively bold predictions...

#254 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

View Postposter J, on 30 March 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

I wouldn't be so sure - Mormon and Once will both be eligible too!  For all anyone knows at the minute, Charlie might actually turn out to be a Lord of the Rings-style flop, so I think people should wait until it's actually open before making such massively bold predictions...

And let's not forget who's directing it.... Not known for his direction of musicals.

Once will win
Lets hope it's still on

#255 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I think if the critics respond like they did in nyc then once will win oliviers and mormon will sweep thr wos awards. I can see charlie getting technical awards. Far too early to tell how charlie will do

It also defies logic (and good business sense) to assume any show is a sure bet. For every argument for a show obviously being a hit, there is a argument (including previous experience) as to why it wont work. Any show is always a gamble

#256 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Again though, Charlie could be responded to as well as Once or Mormon, and then its anyones guess who could win...

#257 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I imagine Charlie will win in the technical catergory, I would imagine WB will want it to run at least 2-3 years and go to Broadway.

#258 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Nothing is predictable in the West End. But the odds are against Charlie having a mega-run at Drury Lane. This does not imply that it will not re-coup (MFL from the National recouped in 12 weeks here), but the house record is Miss Saigon at 10 years, before that the original MFL at five years. The largest houses rarely support a long runner - WWRY and Lion King are very much the exceptions amongst the Palladium, Drury Lane, Prince Edward, Lyceum and Dominion. The 10+ years runs of shows are almost invariably at mid or lower sized theatres.
So, whilst emphasising that NOTHING is entirely predictable, my personal view is that people are over-estimating the appeal of Charlie against say LOTR or Shrek
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#259 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Some potential customers who love charlie will be put off by the new score. In the same way some were put off sister act because it wasnt the film on stage.

#260 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostIan, on 30 March 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Nothing is predictable in the West End. But the odds are against Charlie having a mega-run at Drury Lane. This does not imply that it will not re-coup (MFL from the National recouped in 12 weeks here), but the house record is Miss Saigon at 10 years, before that the original MFL at five years. The largest houses rarely support a long runner - WWRY and Lion King are very much the exceptions amongst the Palladium, Drury Lane, Prince Edward, Lyceum and Dominion. The 10+ years runs of shows are almost invariably at mid or lower sized theatres.
So, whilst emphasising that NOTHING is entirely predictable, my personal view is that people are over-estimating the appeal of Charlie against say LOTR or Shrek

I think Charlie will have a decent run, shows that run 5-10 years plus aren't the norms especially as you said in the bigger theatres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users