412 replies to this topic

#301 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Some do like it. But the ones who just want to get home are branded as rude or mean which is completely unfair.

#302 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

What an odd thing to say! That understudies play the role better... I've not seen many instances of that.

#303 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

I dont find it an odd thing to say at all, I am talking from personal experience, dont get me wrong, its not always the case, but a few examples:
The majority of my experiences lie within Jersey Boys of course, but to start with, Billy Elliot, as the Dad, David Bardsley is infinitely better than both Martin Marquez & Deka Walmsley (though I do like the latter of those two).  Caroline Deverill (& Sam4God will agree with me here, is much better than both Genevieve Lemon (though I  actually like her) & Gillian Bevan as Mrs Wilkinson.  Ryan Pidgen as Mr Braithwaite, again, his acting &  vocals are superior to those of Simon Ray Harvey who I feel overacts the role (sorry Si, I still love you!)
On to Jersey Boys, considering I have seen all 5 casts, this , for my sleep addled brain (its 3am & I only woke up for a drink of water), is too much to go into totally, but off the top of my head..... Jye Frasca & Ben Jennings as Frankie Valli, of the 11 actors I have seen in this role, not including Valli himself, these 2 "Joeys" are the best I have seen, both vocally & acting.  James Winter should have gotten the role of Gaudio when Stephen Ashfield left, while I didnt dislike Matt Wycliffe at all, James was better in my opinion, I think the only thing against him, was his lack of "big stage" experience, his time as Hank Majewski in Jersey was his first job out of college.  Of my 10 "Gaudios" Kieran Jae was my favourite, just a shame that at 5'7" he is too short really to have that role as a permanent thing...... & now, I am off back to sleep, peace out
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#304 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 06 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

What an odd thing to say! That understudies play the role better... I've not seen many instances of that.
I've seen quite a few examples of that in several shows. It's not necessarily saying the understudy would be better every night, but that their enthusiasm for stepping in makes their performance better on the evening.

#305 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

I agree Steven, there are also cases where I have seen shows with understudies on & missed the original cast member.
Like I said originally and Steven has just reiterated, it is perhaps their enthusiasm for stepping into someone elses shoes which enhances their performance.
Then examples above were cases where I ultimately prefer the understudy over the original performer, but again, it can come down to enthusiasm in the role.

Now....... maybe we should get back to Charlie & The Chocolate Factory,  has anyone heard any cover rumours at all?
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#306 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

There are now some of the costume designs on vogue.co.uk and they look utterly delightful! Very excited..

#307 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the headsup! http://www.vogue.co....tures-exclusive

#308 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Also sheds some light on who the new Cherry and Gerry characters are, TV reporters? News anchors? Really like the designs! Sad they left out Willy Wonka and Oompa Loompas but I suppose they need some surprise

#309 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Wow I love Veruca and Violets outfits!! Someone please tell me WHO IS TERRY AND CHERRY!!!!

#310 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

They look like reporters..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users