412 replies to this topic

#51 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

No one said that panto was synonymous with amateur.

#52 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

It was at De Montfort Hall over Christmas a couple of years ago. They haven't got a fly tower there so it was probably simplified, but I'm not sure if it got great reviews there. It has been touring on and off for years and I think that the problem people have with it even before it's started is that Kenwright might not 'take care' with it and just be seeing it as a cheap filler at the Palladium.
Anyway, back to Willy Wonka, could Michael Ball be playing him?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#53 elissa

elissa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hadley Fraser for Willy Wonka, please! :)

#54 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ball seems the sensible choice - giving his close relationship with Shaiman and Wittman coming from Hairspray.

It'd certainly be a wise choice physically as it'd draw him apart from the stick-thin Wonkas we've only ever been introduced to.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#55 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 26 June 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Ball seems the sensible choice - giving his close relationship with Shaiman and Wittman coming from Hairspray.

It'd certainly be a wise choice physically as it'd draw him apart from the stick-thin Wonkas we've only ever been introduced to.

Yes, this is a very good point....he is the owner of a chocolate factory after all! Do we think it'll have to be a name?

And what do we think will be happening Oompa Loompa wise??
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#56 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 26 June 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

And what do we think will be happening Oompa Loompa wise??

I began to think that aswell. I always thought maybe little puppets? Just not a chorus of adults and kids, got disappointed when I found out that's how they did the Munchkins for Oz!

#57 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

It'll probably be adults for the Oompa Loompas, I hope they'll incorporate the songs from the book that they sang for each child.

Michael Ball would be great as Wonka but I don't think you'd need a name, just a great actor who can pull off Wonka's weirdness but make the character their own and not copies of either Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp.

I do wonder where they'd split it as I imagine they'll Wonka to be introduced in Act 1. I think the perfect way to end Act 1 would be with either Augustus Gloop or Violet Beaurigarde's fate.

#58 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

Surely the Oompas will have to be done a la Shrek's Farquad(?) for comedy value alone?

I think we'll need names for Wonka and Grandad tbh.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#59 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

The act 1 split could be the boat scene

#60 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Rumours that Finding Neverland is going into the Palladium, any ideas what has happened to this?
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users